Writing a unique ethnic recipes book - feedback needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Format for ethinic recipe book

• hard cover book

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • regular book (no hard cover)

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • e-book in PDF form

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kindle or iPad format

• iPhone application

• Total voters
I prefer my cookbooks coil bound so I can open to the recipe I want without messing with the hard cover. I also agree with the pictures bit GB mentioned.

This is what I was going to say. I don't like that I need to basically lay something on a hardcover book to keep it open. If I had a choice, I would buy every book in spiral bound.

Good luck with your cookbook! When it comes out, please let us know.

This is what I was going to say. I don't like that I need to basically lay something on a hardcover book to keep it open. If I had a choice, I would buy every book in spiral bound.

What I use for all my cookbooks, regardless of their binding, is an acrylic cookbook stand/holder. It holds any cookbook - even floppy softcovers & heavy coffee-table types - in an upright position; perfect for easy reference while cooking & fully protecting the entire book from any splatters.

I can't imagine using a cookbook without one!:)

Publishing in two formats would be a good idea. Ebooks may still look a little unpractical, but see how the technology has evolved, in music, films and other videos, cameras just to name a few, and excellent, practicable gadgets for ebook reading are coming out now. I dare say the age of Ebooks is just around the corner.
However, book readers are much more conservative and less prone to such changes, it may take longer for the transition. I do have a small computer installed over the kitchen counter to search, study and consult with recipes (also handy for playing music while cooking :cool: ) which is indeed very handy, without having a book occupying the counter top and worrying not to damage or soil it. Having said that I also enjoy looking through the traditional cookbooks in a safer environment, while lounging about. In this case it is the best if it is a nice, hard covered book loaded with quality pictures. So I do appreciate the both sides of it, thus, I am for publishing in two different format...:chef:

For me, and probably many others, there's a large gap in ethnic cooking - namely, ingredients, techniques, and the culture - it's a prelude, maybe a prerequisite. An entire cookbook, without a single recipe, can even be conceived. Some of my personal favorite ethnic cookbooks devote substantial copy to this, or at the very least, they have a thorough glossary.

Back to the vote... one mark of a well-loved cookbook is grease stains. Not good for iPads and other electronics, I would think. In any case, the production question is entirely dependent on your marketing, distribution, target demographics, etc., mostly irrelevant to a book's content. Once it's finished, you can switch to any format very easily. Sounds like fun, Jug.

As some have mentioned, I enjoy seeing pictures of the completed dish. Sometimes step by step pics as well ( if it is a confusing step). Being ethnic, I do enjoy the historical nature of the dish. If its from another country ( or time period) Id like to see any special gadgets this culture may use in preparing the dish. Some ingredients may be exotic, or hard to find, or maybe completely unfamiliar, so a picture dictionary, describing the exotic , hard to find ingredients could be helpful too ( also including possible substitutions if such an ingredient cannot be found).

I love trying ethnic foods.

IF you are budget-constrained, a comb-bound or other sort of soft bound book is the way to go. If you are mostly selling to family, friends, and neighbors, it is the only way to do it affordably. Watch for ethnic fairs and festivals, and neighborhood festivals and set up a table.

Oh, P.S., comb-bound books can be opened flat and are very convenient when you are cooking. I have lots of friends who collect them, as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom