Yorkshire Puddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I am going to have to makes some popovers now, filled with butter and jam!

I am a big fan of Yorkshire pudding, we always made a large one using the beef drippings

``Them that eats the most pudding gets the most meat.``

Thanks, Bolas

Yes, they are very good!

Also, Dutch babies.

I don't make a Sunday roast very often but, I do like to make a quick Yorkshire pudding if I have some meat and gravy to use up. It seems a little more special than a typical American hot roast beef sandwich. Who am i kidding, now days the beef is more of a memory and it is usually roast pork or chicken! It's all good!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I love Toad in the Hole Bloas and I made it for the first time not long ago. I wanted individual servings so I used two small cake tins with two fat sausages in each one. Wish I had taken a picture, as it was really cool the way the batter poofed up around the rim of the pans. Thanks for the reminder, I have to do it again soon.
I love the video, but for extra flavor I used bacon fat instead of oil. :pig: The gravy is spot on as you say. Yumm Ymm :chef:

I absolutely love Yorkshire pudding...now that I've unpacked the popover pan, they are on my bucket list of things to make again soon.

Are we not all ethnic then? Some are the majority some in the minority?

Since this site is U.S. based, English cuisine is considered "ethnic". If this site originated in the U.K., than American cuisine (Louisiana crab cakes, dirty-water hot dogs, ad infinitum) would be considered "ethnic". A cooking site originating in Thailand would consider BOTH of us "ethnic".

It's location; nothing else. You're making it sound like "ethnic" is a dirty word. It's not.

Last edited:
Which of my comments made ethnic sound like a dirty word ? I think just some of our conversations are lost in translation. You mean I am in the minority because most of the members of the site are US based. If you were a member of a group mainly UK based I still wouldnt think of you as ethnic either.

Here in the sleepy hamlet of Los Angeles Yorkshire pudding usually means just one thing: a kind of bread prominently featuring juices from roasted beef.

Sleep beckons but I hope tomorrow I can post some sort of recipe. I've cooked it many times and it is very excellent when served with roasted beef.

Not that I have any authority in things Yorkshire-ish.

Anyhoo, not a problem am sure we are all v proud of our heritage and our countries I know I am.

I love Yorkshire Puds, much harder to master these days as I have to make gluten free ones but with a little patience it does work. Cant beat a good yorkshire pud with roast beef or a nice toad in the hole.

Okay here's the Yorkshire pudding recipe I'm familiar with. Keep in mind that I'm just a L.A. dude who has never been to UK, although much of my family tree came from there.

I Googled the recipe to refresh my memory because I have no record of how I made it. But it's not all that hard. The recipes differ in amounts and proportions but they generally go like this:

flour
eggs
milk
a pinch of salt
and the most important part: beef drippings!

First you mix up the batter ingredients except for the beef drippings, then pour it into a large pan or casserole dish (maybe oiled or greased to keep the bread from sticking). It is a thin batter, way thinner than bread batter, maybe about the thickness of pancake batter. Then you take a generous amount of beef drippings including fat and bits and everything and swirl it into the batter. More beef drippings is IMO better than less beef drippings. The exact amount of swirling is an art. If you mix it up completely uniform then it's totally wrong. Some of the beef drippings need to get swirled into the interior of the batter but should be in a random way and barely mixed, and some of the beef drippings should be floating on top. The finished Yorkshire pudding is supposed to be a little bit greasy.

Then you bake it in your oven--30 minutes at 450 degrees?--until it's done and serve it hot, with the roast beef (preferably prime rib roast). You cut it into pie shaped slices. The part in the middle sinks down, the part around the edge is usually fluffy, and the browning varies throughout. The rustic appearance is part of the allure. (IMO) Some parts of the middle are supposed to be higher, other parts lower, non-uniform thickness.

That's the way my favorite restaurant made Yorkshire pudding when I first encountered it and I've never had better. I have no idea how they cooked it but in later years when I began cooking my own recipe it turned out fairly similar.

One of these days I'll cook it several times and get the amounts and proportions of ingredients right.

One question: It always annoyed me that I didn't have the beef drippings until the roast was done, and the baking generally takes about perhaps 30 minutes at 450 degrees, but by that time the beef has cooled too long.

I've sometimes thought to make a prime rib roast and save all the juices, freeze them, and then next time I make a prime rib roast I can overlap the last 30 minutes of cooking the roast and making the Yorkshire pudding at the same time. And then I save the juices from that prime rib roast for the next time.

So is this anything like the Yorkshire pudding served in Yorkshire?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom