"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Releno del Pollo
Relleno de Pollo is chicken filling. I have saved this recipe.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
We really, really like quesadillas. They're easy to make and can be created with almost any kind of filling. Shredded beef, pork or chicken...
or even tuna.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #13
Head Chef

Mexican recipe

This is my "go to" recipe, and I'll be making it in the morning for company tomorrow night. Lately, I've been making this in the crockpot instead of the stovetop and I think it is even better that way.

Pollo con Salsa Roja y Chorizo (Chicken with Red Chile Sauce and Sausage)

6 chicken drumsticks and 6 thighs, skinned
2 tbs oil
½ pound ground fresh chorizo (or buy fresh chorizo links and remove the casings)

Salsa roja (recipe follows, but you can also use a large can of enchilada sauce)

6 dried chiles guajillo (long and dark red, smooth skin)
3 dried chiles ancho or pasilla (shorter and darker- wrinkled skin)
3 or 4 roma tomatoes (or a medium can of diced tomatoes)
¼ onion
2 cloves garlic
1 and ½ cups chicken broth
2 TBS corn oil
salt to taste

Since the chiles guajillo are hotter than the chiles ancho, you may want to modify the mix if you want milder sauce. Remove the stems, seeds and membranes and soak in hot water for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes*, garlic and onion and cut into pieces.

Drain the chiles and transfer to a blender. Add the peeled tomatoes, onion,, garlic and broth and puree.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the pureed sauce. Stir a bit to let it bloom. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat and add salt to taste.

Using a heavy, deep frying pan with sides at least 3 “ high, brown the chicken well in the oil in two batches, remove from pan and set aside. Add chorizo and sauté for a few minutes. Drain excess oil and add 1 cup of the sauce. Mix well, then add chicken pieces and cover with the remaining sauce. Bring to a simmer, and then cook for about 60-75 minutes.

To serve, let the tender chicken literally fall off the bone into a hot, fresh soft corn tortilla. Roll it up and enjoy. Garnish with chopped avocado, onion, radish or cheese if you want. You could serve this with Mexicana rice and/or beans, or just some fresh fruit (mango, pineapple, papaya, etc.)

*This is easy if you dip them in boiling water for a few minutes, the skins just peel off. You can also use canned, diced tomatoes,
Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Enchiladas Mexicanas

Filling:
1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast
3 cups water
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 each red, green and yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp. oregano
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:
20 tomatillos
2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half
1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped

or 1 24-oz. can enchilada sauce

Enchiladas:
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese or queso blanco
1 cup sour cream

To cook filling:
Place the chicken in a saucepan with 3 cups water and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and shred chicken; set aside.

Pour olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, oregano and tomato. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes. Set aside.

To prepare sauce: Husk and rinse tomatillos and place them in a saucepan with the jalapenos; cover with water and cook over high heat for 15 minutes or till tomatillos turn pale green. Drain the water and place the ingredients in a blender; mix until well blended. Stir in the chopped onions and cilantro; season with salt and pepper to taste.

To prepare enchiladas: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat the bottom of a 9x13-in. baking dish with sauce. One by one, fill tortillas with the filling. Roll them up and place in the baking dish. Top with sauce, covering tortillas completely. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Head Chef

GotGarlic, your salsa verde is perfect and very authentic. I make it all the time and we use it liberally. I usually add a clove or two of garlic. The enchiladas sound wonderful as well; I like the addition of peppers. One thing that surprised me is that Mexican cooks do not put their enchiladas in the oven, probably because most Mexican kitchens do not have ovens. They roll them up, pour a little sauce on them, sprinkle with a little cheese and serve them. That does preserve the shape of the tortilla a bit better and I have come to prefer them that way.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN View Post
We're getting together with several other couples this coming Friday. We plan on a mexican/american dinner. I know I'm making my homemade salsa and black bean salad and of course there will be margaritas....LOL!

Anyway...I'd like to try out some new things also. So whats your favorite mexican recipe to make and if you could please share it.

Thanks everyone!
For entertaining, I would go with Chicken Mole as the main attraction. When I can get to my go-to recipe, will share... Meanwhile, Emerile's look's good & close to mine:

Tequila-Marinated Chicken with Mexican Mole Sauce

For a more casual dinner, a suggestion for a main entree & easy dish is Mexican Lasagna. Will post if you're interested. For dessert, I would make flan -- Several recipes posted on this site; or Mexican fried ice cream (recipes posted here as well). Have another recipe for mexican meatballs as an appy. Let me know if you're interested. Have a great party.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
GotGarlic, your salsa verde is perfect and very authentic. I make it all the time and we use it liberally. I usually add a clove or two of garlic. The enchiladas sound wonderful as well; I like the addition of peppers. One thing that surprised me is that Mexican cooks do not put their enchiladas in the oven, probably because most Mexican kitchens do not have ovens. They roll them up, pour a little sauce on them, sprinkle with a little cheese and serve them. That does preserve the shape of the tortilla a bit better and I have come to prefer them that way.
Hey, thanks You're right, the original recipe didn't bake them, but when I take them for a potluck, as the poster of this thread wants to do, I bake them in my trusty great big Pampered Chef stone and it keeps them good and hot till serving time.

I love these enchiladas. Last year, I took them to a potluck at the home of friends who moved here from Colorado and Walter said they were the best he had ever had
Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
Master Chef

Message for Dave hutchins; That's Mr. Goodweed, thank you.

Seeeeeya; Mr. Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
Senior Cook

We like to make fish tacos & salsa verde (recipe posted above). Saute bite size pieces of snapper or grouper with olive oil, lime, cilantro, s&p. Serve on warm corn torillas wih cabbage, chopped onion, cilantro & a slice of avocado.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My favorite go to recipe/s is/are:

Spanish rice - caramelize peppers and red or green peppers, cooked white rice, tossed with Rotel, add some cilantro and fresh lime juice.

My other favorite is white chicken enchiladas - they are great topped with fresh salsa. If you want the recipe I'll be glad to send it to you tonight. I don't have it with me at work. Just send me a PM so I'll be sure to see it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None