"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

Your "go to" mexican recipe?

We're getting together with several other couples this coming Friday. We plan on a mexican/american dinner. I know I'm making my homemade salsa and black bean salad and of course there will be margaritas....LOL!

Anyway...I'd like to try out some new things also. So whats your favorite mexican recipe to make and if you could please share it.

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Want to try some Mexican fusion? I developed this recipe a couple of years ago, but haven't made it in quite a while:

Releno del Pollo

Ingredients:

1/4 cup canola oil
4 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
1/2 lb sliced ham
1 bell pepper, julienned
1 cup Asadero cheese, shredded
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped fine

Coating:

1/2 cup masa harina (corn flour)
1 Tbs Cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp ground coriander seed

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375F. Pound thighs until doubled in size. Divide ham evenly among 4 thighs. Place 1/4 of julienned bell pepper on each thigh. Combine cheese, olives, garlic, scallions and jalapeños and divide evenly among 4 thighs. Sprinkle cilantro over all, then roll tightly and secure with butcher’s twine. Combine all ingredients of coating mix and dredge rolled thighs until evenly coated.

In frying pan or cast iron skillet, cook coated thighs in canola oil over medium heat until lightly browned on all sides. Drain, then place on cookie sheet in preheated 375F oven for 15 minutes.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Sizz,
my kids and DH love chile rellenos, but with the amount of kids and grandkids and who ever, There is no way I'm standing there and frying these babies..So I buy the fresh long green peppers, you can use your favorite kind..I slit them in half, take out the seeds, then I mix up a box of tempura batter, dip the chiles in the batter and place cut side up on a cookie sheet,making sure there is some batter in the hollow..Then I fill the center with pepper jack cheese, put the tray in a 400 oven and just bake til cheese is bubbly and turning golden...
remove and either cut in half or let the gang fend for themselves...
kadesma
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

A favorite around our house that's quick to make is enchilada pie.
Ingredients:
18 fresh corn tortillas
1 and 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion
2 cans sliced black olives
1 lb. Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3 stalks clelery
1 bunch cilantro
24 oz. enchilada sauce
your favorite hot sauce
cooking oil
Salt
Pepper
Chili Powder

This is made in a 9 X 12 cake pan
Heat oven to 350' F.

Brown the ground beef in a suitable skillet. Season with chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Drain and rinse. Dice the onion, slice the celery, and mince the cilantro. Shred the cheese.

Heat 1/2 cup oil in a hot skillet
Spread an thin layer of enchilada sauce over the cake-pan bottom to coat. Place 1 tortilla in the hot oil for about 3 seconds, flip, and immediately remove and drain on a paper towel. Repeat with 5 more tortillas. Place the tortillas on the pan bottom to cover. Evenly spread half of the ground beef, diced onions, cilantro, olives, celery slices, and cheese evenly on the tortillas. Sprinkle pepper over top. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over this layer.

Soften 6 more tortillas in the oil, one at a time, and place over the first layer of ingredients. Repeat the process.

Place the final layer of 6 softened tortillas on top, cover with the last sauce, and sprinkle with the last cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Chicken enchiladas. Mine are a little different, because I put sauteed peppers and onions in with the chicken. I'll try to remember to post the recipe when I get home.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

Ground Turkey Enchiladas

Sizz,

Here's one of my favorite recipes. Cooks.com - Recipe - Ground Turkey Enchiladas

I serve two enchiladas per person, on a bed of shredded lettuce. Then I top the hot enchiladas with a shredded mexican cheese blend, sliced black olives, chopped scallions, diced fresh tomatoes and diced avocado. The hot enchilada/cold salad thing is terrific, and this is a relatively healthy, definitely filling, meal.

Lee
Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Sizz,
my kids and DH love chile rellenos, but with the amount of kids and grandkids and who ever, There is no way I'm standing there and frying these babies..So I buy the fresh long green peppers, you can use your favorite kind..I slit them in half, take out the seeds, then I mix up a box of tempura batter, dip the chiles in the batter and place cut side up on a cookie sheet,making sure there is some batter in the hollow..Then I fill the center with pepper jack cheese, put the tray in a 400 oven and just bake til cheese is bubbly and turning golden...
remove and either cut in half or let the gang fend for themselves...
kadesma
Now, hold the phone here, kadesma! I definitely need more detail with THIS one!

I adore chile rellenos, and order them whenever I am in a Mexican restaurant. I have made them several times, but roasting, peeling, stuffing, battering and frying the darned peppers are a pain in the dupa!

So, what kind of peppers do you get? Poblanos? You don't bother roasting and peeling first, you just go with fresh ones? Do they taste raw when you are eating them? How long in a 400 oven?

I would SO love your recipe to taste like my beloved rellenos, but it sounds too easy to be true!

Lee
Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We really, really like quesadillas. They're easy to make and can be created with almost any kind of filling. Shredded beef, pork or chicken. Just add salsa, cheese, etc.

I also like to make dessert quesadillas using canned pie fillings and flour tortillas. Cherry filling with toasted almonds. Apple filling with chopped pecans. I serve the dessert ones with whipped cream. Yummy.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Cook

I like to make Pozole, pork, cabbage, hominy soup
Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Fajitas or prawn nachos.

Tags
None