22 lbs of shredded cheddar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I went camping this past weekend and came home with 22 lbs of shredded cheddar (loooong story). Can I freeze this?

yes! package it up and freeze. Cheddar is not very forgiving when frozen in chunk form but shredded it works fairly well. I have done it with shredded before and it thawed out nice. Freezing makes cheddar crumbly but if it's shredded that doesn't matter and is less than when freezing a block.

I went camping this past weekend and came home with 22 lbs of shredded cheddar (loooong story). Can I freeze this?

Wow, best I've ever done camping is coming home with a few Morels or a bucket of blackberries, how do you come home with 22 lbs of cheese? :LOL:

22 pounds? I need to hear this story. Yes, freeze. It will lose some in texture (in other words, you might not want to do a cream/cheese sauce with it) but will probably be fine in nachos, layered salads and dips, topping casseroles, etc.

Go ahead and freeze it, Janet. When all 5 of our children were at home, we regularly bought shredded cheeses in 10-pound or greater quantities and froze it. If you have a FoodSaver, all the better for packaging the cheese.

Story please!

OK... This last weekend my band played at a festival a couple of hours from home. Since it was in a beautiful area we decided to spend a few days camping there with our families and friends and it turned into a 24 family, 4 day outdoor cooking spree. We planned meals in advance with everyone pitching in and helping.

One night we had pit smoked salmon and artichokes, another we had a bring your own meat (BYOM) bbq and on the last night we had a chili night.

People signed up to bring condiments for the BBQ, chili and next mornings breakfast of cooked to order eggs, tortillas, cinnimon rolls and ham (2 people per meal). All six people brought shredded cheese and all of them bought 5 lb bags. One person brought 2 bags for a grand total of 13 bags. 7 x 5 = 35 lbs of cheese. We used less than 2 bags and a third bag was lost to a family of raccons who actually dragged away the entire bag while we watched, laughing so hard no one could intervene.

When it came time to pack up at the end of the weekend, there were left overs. The person in charge of this process divided the meat and chili amongst the interested parties and then decided that since I was a vegetarian the cheese should go to me. When I was packing my car I found a cooler next to the back door with a note, full of cheese. Really, really full.

Attachments

• troutlake 1.jpg
    troutlake 1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 218
Oh my goodness! Sounds like you had a good time, and obviously a nice group of compatible people. Although Mexico has a wealth of wonderful cheeses, we can seldom find cheddar cheese. I get it at Costo occasionally, and I usually buy two 2-kilo bags of shredded cheese. It freezes beautifully, and I use it for cheese sauces all the time with no problems.

This sounds like a great new topic: huge amounts of one type of food that you have bought/been given/etc. I was once given 400 pounds of split peas!

Kraft is NOT cheese:ROFLMAO:

Ah c'mon now. I grew up on Kraft Longhorn Colby. I think it tastes just fine, right next to the potted meat sandwich.:rolleyes:

But give me some Balderson Heritage 5-year aged cheddar and I'm in Heaven. But I can only get the stuff in Canada.:( Wish I could find and equally great cheese available in the markets around my town.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom