"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
If they say cage free, I'll bet they aren't in cages.
That's not really the point. All "cage free" means is that, yes, the birds aren't technically kept confined to cages. However, instead of the cages they can legally be kept crammed beak-to-butt in dark, indoor building pens. Can they move a bit more? Yes. Is it much better than the cages? Somewhat doubtful.

All "cage free" means is just that - "cage free". It doesn't mean the quality of their lives or the quality of the eggs is much different.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
Exactly. The term is dubious. What I'm looking for is some sort of report that says "These eggs are actually cage free, the chickens can roam around all day. These eggs are actually free range, the chickens spend half of the day outside." Does that exist?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
However, instead of the cages they can legally be kept crammed beak-to-butt in dark, indoor building pens.
Actually, they cut off the beaks
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Head Chef

How does an egg know whether it was in a cage or not?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
The egg isn't alive, or even fertilized. It's just a menstrual cast off. The chicken knows, though.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
How does an egg know whether it was in a cage or not?
Don't start with me Mcnerd - lol!!

The egg doesn't know, but some of us feel that the animal that's providing us with this tasty source of protein is entitled to a humane existence.

In addition, from somone who used to raise her own little flock of egglayers, eggs from hens allowed to truly wander outdoors in a decent amount of space - even if penned & not truly "free range", produce eggs that are definitely superior in quality & taste to those produced by their poorer-kept cousins.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Head Chef

Y'all come visit--I will sell you all the "real" eggs you want for $5 a dozen!! I sell mine for $2 a dozen, and some folks gripe about that.

I will even leave the straw, feathers and bits of poo on them for a real down on the farm experience.

Bring cartons--I am almost out.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Y'all come visit--I will sell you all the "real" eggs you want for $5 a dozen!! I sell mine for $2 a dozen, and some folks gripe about that.

I will even leave the straw, feathers and bits of poo on them for a real down on the farm experience.

Bring cartons--I am almost out.
Tell the truth....20+ years ago I was picking up about 12-15 dozen per day...Going price was $1 dozen...They frowned at the price, but kept coming back for more....It was a great hobby!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #19
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
Quote:
Don't start with me Mcnerd - lol!!

The egg doesn't know, but some of us feel that the animal that's providing us with this tasty source of protein is entitled to a humane existence.

In addition, from somone who used to raise her own little flock of egglayers, eggs from hens allowed to truly wander outdoors in a decent amount of space - even if penned & not truly "free range", produce eggs that are definitely superior in quality & taste to those produced by their poorer-kept cousins.
And if the humane aspect weren't enough (though it should be), I've heard that pastured chicken eggs (meaning the chickens can run around outside as much as they want) have 40% of the cholesterol as battery raised chicken eggs. I believe the rule is the more free the bird, the healthier the egg.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
That's not really the point. All "cage free" means is that, yes, the birds aren't technically kept confined to cages. However, instead of the cages they can legally be kept crammed beak-to-butt in dark, indoor building pens. Can they move a bit more? Yes. Is it much better than the cages? Somewhat doubtful.

All "cage free" means is just that - "cage free". It doesn't mean the quality of their lives or the quality of the eggs is much different.

Also, like I said before "cage-free and "free-range" are two differnt things. Don't confuse them.
Thats what I said upthread. All it means is that they don't live in cages.

Tags
None