"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know why, but I'm picturing K-L holding a block of cheese under her chin while juggling a grater and bowl in her hands, all while attempting a fantastic new recipe...

Old 09-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I don't know why, but I'm picturing K-L holding a block of cheese under her chin while juggling a grater and bowl in her hands, all while attempting a fantastic new recipe...

Haa, guess you missed my edit. You forgot to mention cutting the cheese too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

How gauche, Madame!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I buy 18-month-old Parmigiano Reggiano cheese; it keeps for months and has never molded...
Same here. If it did, I'd probably scrape off the most offensive parts and grate up the rest for that night's spaghetti.

giggler, if you see white spots on the Parm it doesn't mean that the cheese is getting moldy. This is a nice explanation of what causes those white spots in an article from The Kitchn: The Cheesemonger: A Bit of Crunch in Your Cheese?

When Himself has pointed them out, I just say "it's the salt coming out". Might not be accurate, but he's OK with that...*ahem* story.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Same here. If it did, I'd probably scrape off the most offensive parts and grate up the rest for that night's spaghetti.

giggler, if you see white spots on the Parm it doesn't mean that the cheese is getting moldy. This is a nice explanation of what causes those white spots in an article from The Kitchn: The Cheesemonger: A Bit of Crunch in Your Cheese?

When Himself has pointed them out, I just say "it's the salt coming out". Might not be accurate, but he's OK with that...*ahem* story.
I should have said it keeps for years and just gets better

I forgot that those white deposits can be mistaken for mold. My sister asked me about that once, too.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
I'm on an aged cheese jag for snacks.

Parm and chedder in particular, in slices with apples and such.

The good stuff comes in Chunks that turn blue before I can 'em all.

can I halve the chunks, wrap in plastic and freeze? or will they turn to Gooo or something?

Eric, Austin Tx.
Parmesan keeps to the crack of doom without going mouldy. I only buy small quantities at a time - 100 grams (less that 4 ounces) lasts me for weeks and once for a couple of months!

You can freeze cheese if you absolutely must but why not buy it in smaller amounts so it doesn't get chance to go mouldy in the 'fridge. If it's packed in plastic remove it when you get it home and wrap it in baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Generally speaking, cheese doesn't seem to like sealed containers such as Tupperware or Lock and Lock boxes.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Maybe Bliss can shed some light on this.

I've heard that you should never touch a cheese block with your bare hands when grating or cutting cheese, and the cheese will be less likely to mold when returned to the refrigerator. Since we've been doing this we've had better luck with our packs of refrigerated cheese.

No wisecracks about cutting the cheese Bucky.

Ah good timing and I'm back at my computer for a couple minutes.

Yeah, so in our environment, which is also called our 'terroir', pronounced 'terr wah', there is mold and yeast in the air. This is everywhere.

For instance my basement has more mold and yeast in the air with less air flow and more humidity, than say, my upstairs. You'll notice this if you make sauerkraut or fermented pickles (or cheese).

So even if your hands are clean, they pick up mold and yeast from the air, no matter how antiseptic you think you are, you're not. There is even some bacteria in your water, so after you wash your hands, you may have some there.

Salt and vinegar stops or slows down molds and yeasts, so if you use salt or vinegar on your hands, then handle cheese, you might end up with mold everywhere EXCEPT where your hands touch your cheese. I've had this happen with a cheese rind I wanted to grow some blue mold on. (a blue cheese) I left fingerprints on it, of no mold growing.

So yes Kayelle, the less you touch the cheese with your hands, the less mold will get put onto the cheese, less will grow. If you were a cheese maker, and working on the rind formation, cleaning it every other day (let's say), you'd wash it with a mild solution of salt water and vinegar to keep the molds off. Then when you want to age it and the rind has formed adequately, it gets washed dried (air dried) then waxed or vacuum packed.

For cheese in the refrigerator, touch it less, get all the air out of the bag or wrapping. But if you come across a little mold, it's generally not harmful, wash it off with a light brine and vinegar and put it in new packaging.

(Light brine, 2 tsp of salt to 1 cup of water, 1 tsp vinegar)
I hope that answers your question about touching cheese.

The white crystals on cheese can be: There are two type of cheese crystals that can form in a cheese: Tyrosine and Calcium Lactate. They are usually found in aged cheeses like cheddar, parmesan, aged gouda.
https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-...es-best-friend

The white crystals are sought after by most cheese enthusiasts.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

So, Cooking Godesses's hubby was right all along, huh?
Figures. The guy knows his stuff.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

It certainly does answer my questions about touching cheese Bliss. You have a way of explaining things so well, and thank you.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese, free