"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Anyone here ever use AMISH BUTTER ROLLS??

is this butter any good?

i'm thinking of ordering a roll or two, but it's salted butter...

anyone here ever cook, bake, etc. with it?

if so, what were your results? i've been told that it's a good finishing butter.

__________________

__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Sorry, black chef. I can't help you. I've never heard of the product. Perhaps someone who has will come along and offer their opinion.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
My wife loves Amish Butter. I agree that it is a salted butter, but with pretty good flavor. It is much like any real butter in that it will burn if over-heated. If you want to fry with it, then it is best to clarify it first. It has a slightly more robust flavor than Land O Lakes brand, but is a bit saltier as well. It's great for making deserts where you want the buttery flavor, such as in shrotbread, or when used as a finishing butter, as when used to coat egg-noodles or on mashed potatoes.

We have been happy with this butter.

When I want more control over the salt content, I use unsalted butter and add the amount I need for the recipe. This works great for butter-cream icings and many sauces.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
My wife loves Amish Butter. I agree that it is a salted butter, but with pretty good flavor. It is much like any real butter in that it will burn if over-heated. If you want to fry with it, then it is best to clarify it first. It has a slightly more robust flavor than Land O Lakes brand, but is a bit saltier as well. It's great for making deserts where you want the buttery flavor, such as in shrotbread, or when used as a finishing butter, as when used to coat egg-noodles or on mashed potatoes.

We have been happy with this butter.

When I want more control over the salt content, I use unsalted butter and add the amount I need for the recipe. This works great for butter-cream icings and many sauces.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
thanks for the info.

unfortunately, i have to wait until the next cold front enters the houston area before the company will ship the butter down here.

it was 82 F yesterday and i ran the AC.

tonight, it's STILL warm... the AC is running full blast just to keep my apt. at 75 F.

it's a shame that i have to order products based on weather patterns.
__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,602
I use this butter almost exclusively for over 10 years now. I used to get it through my food coop buying club, which I disbanded in the summer of 2006. I am still using some of the two cases I bought on my last order.

The salt content does vary per batch. It is a lovely butter though. i use it for all purposes; baking, sauteing, on toast.

The butter I use comes from the Minerva dairy. When I run out I will order a few more cases to be delivered to my house via UPS.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
i received my order of butter rolls today from minerva dairy.

i must say... this is some gooooooood butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I use this butter almost exclusively for over 10 years now. I used to get it through my food coop buying club, which I disbanded in the summer of 2006. I am still using some of the two cases I bought on my last order.

The salt content does vary per batch. It is a lovely butter though. i use it for all purposes; baking, sauteing, on toast.

The butter I use comes from the Minerva dairy. When I run out I will order a few more cases to be delivered to my house via UPS.
__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 666
Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Interesting ... we have Amish farmers around here. I will have to poke around and see if they sell butter at their market in Bonduel. As for this Minerva butter, what is the difference in the roll butter versus the churned block? Is it made differently?
__________________
AMSeccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
it's a shame that i have to order products based on weather patterns.

is that because it's an amish cultural dealio; no refrigeration? or some other reason.

if it's the former, i think that that kind of idealism, which the amish have certainly recognized, cultivated, and cashed in upon, is at the very least respectable if not as american as you can get.
plus, it makes their position on the supply/demand curve more powerful, while tailoring it to their particular mores.
i'll have to check it out on our next trip through lancaster.

thanks for the tip, black chef.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
use it all the time. Awesome, flakes like real cheese, you can see the moisture. Cooks great. I buy European style unsalted butter for those needs.
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
is that because it's an amish cultural dealio; no refrigeration? or some other reason.

if it's the former, i think that that kind of idealism, which the amish have certainly recognized, cultivated, and cashed in upon, is at the very least respectable if not as american as you can get.
plus, it makes their position on the supply/demand curve more powerful, while tailoring it to their particular mores.
i'll have to check it out on our next trip through lancaster.

thanks for the tip, black chef.
tom, it's not that deep.

they just don't want to risk shipping the product while it's so hot and NOT having someone to refrigerate it immediately upon arrival.
__________________

__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.