"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
Head Chef

I don't know what to tell you if you don't want to use starter
from the Grocery store.This corned beef recipie came from the board here I don't remember who posted it but it is awesome.
Sorry it took so long but I have the Flu and feel awful

I used eye of round instead of venison

Corned Beef.
I cooked my corned venison roast that I started 2 weeks ago. It was delicious and my whole family loved it. I got comments that they liked it better than corned beef, mainly because it is so lean.

Preparing venison roasts this way is awesome and I don't think I will prepare another one any other way.

Foodsavers hate liquid in the bags so I came up with a method to brine the roast and at the same time use the Foodsaver.

One venison roast up to 5 lbs
3/4 cup Morton Tender Quick salt (this has the potassium nitrate and nitrite all ready in it)
1/4 cup brown sugar
6-8 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
3-4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon pickling spice
enough ice cubes to make 1 quart of water (mine were 3/4 ounce cubes so I used 40)
The trick is using the ice cubes. I layered all of this into a custom sized foodsaver bag. I only have 8" bags and wish I had the 11" bags. You can measure it up to your roast and add about 6-10 inches for the ice. Better to be long than short.

Put this in the refrigerator for 2 weeks while turning it every couple of days. There will be a small amount of air in the bag due to air in the ice and some air pockets but it will not be excessive enough to worry about. After 2 weeks cook it just like corned beef. Don't invite my kids over or all 7 of them will clean it up in a moment.

Buttermilk

For making buttermilk

Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hope you feel better soon, Josie. Being sick is so NOT fun.

I did notice when I had my recent cold, that I didn't really notice my discomfort while online with my DC friends.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Buttermilk

For making buttermilk
That buttermilk link was very interesting. I make butter all of the time and am now thinking about making the buttermilk.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Head Chef

Buttermilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
That buttermilk link was very interesting. I make butter all of the time and am now thinking about making the buttermilk.
I make buttermilk all the time There is no difference in the taste of it
and that you buy in the grocery store. I use 2 % milk . It is a lot cheaper.

Josie
Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I'm confused. Real buttermilk is the whey leftover from making butter. That buttermilk link is for "cultured buttermilk", which is all I ever see in stores nowadays.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm confused. Real buttermilk is the whey leftover from making butter. That buttermilk link is for "cultured buttermilk", which is all I ever see in stores nowadays.
The notes above the recipe from that link clarify that "cultured buttermilk" is not the same as traditional buttermilk which is, as you said, the liquid left over from making butter.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingmama View Post
The notes above the recipe from that link clarify that "cultured buttermilk" is not the same as traditional buttermilk which is, as you said, the liquid left over from making butter.
I don't understand why someone who churns butter and gets real buttermilk would want the other stuff. Well, if they wanted to make quark...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't understand why someone who churns butter and gets real buttermilk would want the other stuff. Well, if they wanted to make quark...
I had to google "quark" :-)

Cultured buttermilk has all sorts of uses...pancakes, scones, biscuits...in the Southern US, people drink it (to which I say: "Ew" - but to each his own). Plus, the cultures present are quite beneficial for health.

That said, old fashioned "real" buttermilk is yummy too. My mom used to make homemade butter with me and my siblings for school projects (mostly because we were all obsessed with the Little House books - I still love them - and there were so many fantastic passages about food preparation in those books)...we'd put cream in a jar with a few cleaned marbles and take turns shaking it until our arms ached. These days though, I don't think many people churn their own butter. It made sense back when it was your own cow you were milking and you did all the processing of the milk yourself (eg - letting the milk sit out in pans overnight to separate the cream, etc), but now, you'd have to buy pre-processed cream from the store and most people wouldn't dream of taking the time to make their own. Sad, I guess, but...that's the reality these days.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingmama View Post
I had to google "quark" :-)

Cultured buttermilk has all sorts of uses...pancakes, scones, biscuits...in the Southern US, people drink it (to which I say: "Ew" - but to each his own). Plus, the cultures present are quite beneficial for health.

That said, old fashioned "real" buttermilk is yummy too. My mom used to make homemade butter with me and my siblings for school projects (mostly because we were all obsessed with the Little House books - I still love them - and there were so many fantastic passages about food preparation in those books)...we'd put cream in a jar with a few cleaned marbles and take turns shaking it until our arms ached. These days though, I don't think many people churn their own butter. It made sense back when it was your own cow you were milking and you did all the processing of the milk yourself (eg - letting the milk sit out in pans overnight to separate the cream, etc), but now, you'd have to buy pre-processed cream from the store and most people wouldn't dream of taking the time to make their own. Sad, I guess, but...that's the reality these days.
But my point was that Joesfolk had just posted that she makes butter.

Old fashioned butter would have been made from raw cream that was naturally cultured. Then the "real" buttermilk would have had all those lovely micro-organisms. I think that is why one finds buttermilk in old recipes before anyone invented a way to turn sweet milk into "buttermilk".
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
Head Chef

I usually make my own Paneer cheese, when making Indian food. Ive tried making my own home made mozzarella cheese from a kit, but didnt quite work out the way i had hoped. Supposed to make a pound of cheese, but by the time i finished kneading it, it was about the size of one of those little mozzarella cheese balls you get at the salad bar ( even smaller )

Tags
other