"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Perhaps while at work tomorrow, someone might use the ricotta to make some lasagna or manicotti. I guess I could point out that there is even spinach in the vegetable drawer that could be added to it. YUM. If only someone out there would avail themselves to the fresh spinach and fresh ricotta...hmm...if only.
I know a manicotti recipe that uses mushrooms.... ..I'm just sayin..

Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #32
Master Chef

Mine is so simple, I do not have recipe. Warm up the milk, add lemon juice or yougurt/kefir. Keep it warm or warm up more. You'll see the curd starts separating. I use a knee high to dump the mixture. Hang it over the sink for overnight, or over day. Done. It is very-very plain. I like it served with some jam/jelly mixed together and a cup of tea.
Some times when I have time I'll bake the milk first and then make yougurt or farmers cheese. To bake milk i just use slow cooker, leave it overnight on low. Milk becomes, well, baked. It changes color to redish/brownish hue. Actually taste really good on it's own.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #33
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I know a manicotti recipe that uses mushrooms.... ..I'm just sayin..
Wow! And I have some mushrooms leftover in the freezer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Mine is so simple, I do not have recipe. Warm up the milk, add lemon juice or yougurt/kefir. Keep it warm or warm up more. You'll see the curd starts separating. I use a knee high to dump the mixture. Hang it over the sink for overnight, or over day. Done. It is very-very plain. I like it served with some jam/jelly mixed together and a cup of tea.
Some times when I have time I'll bake the milk first and then make yougurt or farmers cheese. To bake milk i just use slow cooker, leave it overnight on low. Milk becomes, well, baked. It changes color to redish/brownish hue. Actually taste really good on it's own.
I'm definitely going to try baking the milk! It sounds unique and tasty.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
How warm do you keep the milk? Do you warm it on the stove? How long do you warm it.

What is a "knee high"?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Knee high stocking - nylon hose - the bottom half of a full length stocking made to go as far up as the knee. It works as a fine mesh bag yet lets water drain through.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Knee high stocking - nylon hose - the bottom half of a full length stocking made to go as far up as the knee. It works as a fine mesh bag yet lets water drain through.
d'oh!

Thanks.

I hate cheese cloth. Can't reuse it; you have to be careful when you pour or the weave separates; gotta use several layers; ...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
...I'm definitely going to try baking the milk! It sounds unique and tasty.
Just do not over bake, so to speak. Keep om low overnight. Turn it off in the morning, I'd say about 10-12 hours is what I do. There might be a thin layer film formed on the top. My grandfather used to love it, I could not touch it with a 9 foot pool. Just dump it. Refrigerat, serve when cold.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How warm do you keep the milk? Do you warm it on the stove? How long do you warm it.

What is a "knee high"?

I used to make it in a jar, then put jar into a pot with water and then warm up the water. Forgeti it it is too long. I jus warm it up in the slow cooker now, on "low" then add lemon juice or existing yougurt. Mix well, and turn to keep it warm setting. There is no set time unfortunately, I just kind of see when it separates, the curd and the wey(sp?). Last time I used dry milk. I simply heat up the water mixed dry powder and water in the slowcooker and set it up on warm right away. I added the yougurt and left it on the whole night. I use the kneehight (you know the high thin soks, for ladies, you can buy them in a little plastic container in Wallmart for less than a dollar, like stockings) instead of cheese cloth. It hung draining when I went to work, when I came home it was already to for use.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
Master Chef

Oh, Selkie already answerd half of the question, thank you Selkie.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I used to make it in a jar, then put jar into a pot with water and then warm up the water. Forgeti it it is too long. I jus warm it up in the slow cooker now, on "low" then add lemon juice or existing yougurt. Mix well, and turn to keep it warm setting. There is no set time unfortunately, I just kind of see when it separates, the curd and the wey(sp?). Last time I used dry milk. I simply heat up the water mixed dry powder and water in the slowcooker and set it up on warm right away. I added the yougurt and left it on the whole night. I use the kneehight (you know the high thin soks, for ladies, you can buy them in a little plastic container in Wallmart for less than a dollar, like stockings) instead of cheese cloth. It hung draining when I went to work, when I came home it was already to for use.
Thanks Charlie. I'm going to give that a try. I'll have to use the jar method because I don't have slow cooker.

Tags
other