Anyone using Philadelphia products in her/his recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
luca, you have to try the classic! a bagel and lox with a schmear, the schmear being the cream cheese.

Arrrrrrrr, that is my fav brekkie.The schmear has to have a sprinkle of black pepper and a side of bisodol:)

Now, you two are talking Klingon for me!!! :LOL:
Im just a poor Italian cumpa'... What's this lox&schmear stuff? And the bisodol??? Some kind of fat extracted from poor bisons? :shock:

think brioschi for bisodol. cured salmon for the lox.

and lol, i haven't heard cumpa in a long time. not since my old gf's compare used to call me "testadura", or "strombolli".

Last edited:
think brioschi for bisodol. cured salmon for the lox.

and lol, i haven't heard cumpa in a long time. not since my old gf's compare used to call me "testadura", or "strombolli".
until I was 15 I though my name was schmendrick. My father was rather florid with his yiddish.:)
ps when my wife gets angry with me she never swears at me in English or Croatian, she much prefers Italian or Greek I know I am in trouble when she lapses into German.

Last edited:
until I was 15 I though my name was schmendrick. My father was rather florid with his yiddish.:)
ps when my wife gets angry with me she never swears at me in English or Croatian, she much prefers Italian or Greek I know I am in trouble when she lapses into German.

:wacko: And swearing in Italian you can gesticulate like hell, too! :ROFLMAO:

Luca Lazzari said:
Hi purple, what do you mean with "melted"? You just mix it at room temperature or do you heat it on fire? And how do you add the Asiago? I mean, grated, diced, sliced... :)

Thanks

I melt it over low heat. Usually I heat minced garlic in just enough butter to keep it from sticking to the pan, then add the basil, oregano and balsamic, then the cream cheese and asiago. I finely grate the asiago. It helps it blend better. The balsamic is just a few drips, enough to know something extra is there but not enough to make it taste like vinegar cream cheese. I stir it pretty constantly while it melts. If you want it a little thinner you can add a little cream too.

Last edited:
That's interesting, Luca, cream cheese with a built in ingredient like tuna. I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it's not over here also, in other stores I don't shop. I always have a few bricks of the plain cream cheese on hand. It's good for making a quick Alfredo sauce, stuffing into jalapenos, rolling up in salami, spreading on a sandwich, heck, I eat it plain. Love cream cheese.

pacanis said:
That's interesting, Luca, cream cheese with a built in ingredient like tuna. I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it's not over here also, in other stores I don't shop. I always have a few bricks of the plain cream cheese on hand. It's good for making a quick Alfredo sauce, stuffing into jalapenos, rolling up in salami, spreading on a sandwich, heck, I eat it plain. Love cream cheese.

They have various flavors of the stuff at our Walmart. I've seen honey, salmon, pineapple, strawberry, chive and onion, and garden vegetable.

Creem cheese is amazing stuffed in jalapenos, especially if you then bread them and deep fry them or wrap them in bacon and grill them.

It's also good mixed with a little mustard and spread in a pita that is then filled with cucumber, tomato and avocado.

It can be mixed with all sorts of herbs and spices to make a vegatable or chip dip. And I forgot that you can mix it with cinnamon and a liquidy caramel and it makes a really good fruit dip. I don't have a recipe for it though, was something a friend made. :(

I know a couple friends who like to mix it into cooked rice with herbs and use it as a side dish or as stuffing for meats and peppers. It's good that way too.

And I have one friend that melts brown sugar and burbon together and then adds it to room temp cream cheese. He then spreads it on cake.

Oh, and I've sauteed scallops with chives and mixed them and some course bread crumbs into room temp cream cheese and then stuffes musshrooms with it. Bake the mushrooms until done. Really tastey along side a grilled steak and some asparagus.

I melt it over low heat. Usually I heat minced garlic in just enough butter to keep it from sticking to the pan, then add the basil, oregano and balsamic, then the cream cheese and asiago. I finely grate the asiago. It helps it blend better. The balsamic is just a few drips, enough to know something extra is there but not enough to make it taste like vinegar cream cheese. I stir it pretty constantly while it melts. If you want it a little thinner you can add a little cream too.

Thank you VERY MUCH :)

They have various flavors of the stuff at our Walmart. I've seen honey, salmon, pineapple, strawberry, chive and onion, and garden vegetable.

Creem cheese is amazing stuffed in jalapenos, especially if you then bread them and deep fry them or wrap them in bacon and grill them.

It's also good mixed with a little mustard and spread in a pita that is then filled with cucumber, tomato and avocado.

It can be mixed with all sorts of herbs and spices to make a vegatable or chip dip. And I forgot that you can mix it with cinnamon and a liquidy caramel and it makes a really good fruit dip. I don't have a recipe for it though, was something a friend made. :(

I know a couple friends who like to mix it into cooked rice with herbs and use it as a side dish or as stuffing for meats and peppers. It's good that way too.

And I have one friend that melts brown sugar and burbon together and then adds it to room temp cream cheese. He then spreads it on cake.

Oh, and I've sauteed scallops with chives and mixed them and some course bread crumbs into room temp cream cheese and then stuffes musshrooms with it. Bake the mushrooms until done. Really tastey along side a grilled steak and some asparagus.

Now I start to feel overwhelmed... :LOL:
Looks like Philadlphia is more versatile then spaghetti!

Thanks everybody!!!

I mix the cream cheese with chopped smoked salmon, spread it on small pumpernickel rounds, and top it with finely chopped sweet onion. Makes a great appetizer.

That sounds so tasty.

luca, you have to try the classic! a bagel and lox with a schmear, the schmear being the cream cheese.
My favorite!

I like to make Salmon pinwheels. I take smoked salmon and lay it flat, spread it with whipped chive cream cheese and roll it. Then you place the log in the freezer for 30 minutes, slice and serve on melba toasts. Garnish with some fresh snipped chives. They are a staple at all of my holiday parties and go like hot cakes!

bagel plus

Ahh, one must smear the cream cheese on the bagel, then a slice or 2 of very thin smoked salmon, a couple of rounds of red onion, and if you like, strew of couple of capers on top!!!...to die for:D

I forgot to mention, but there is much better cream cheese than Philadelphia....here in Toronto we go to a "creamery", that's sells all kinds of imported, etc. cheeses, and also has the best cream cheese!

That sounds so tasty.

My favorite!

I like to make Salmon pinwheels. I take smoked salmon and lay it flat, spread it with whipped chive cream cheese and roll it. Then you place the log in the freezer for 30 minutes, slice and serve on melba toasts. Garnish with some fresh snipped chives. They are a staple at all of my holiday parties and go like hot cakes!

i love pinwheels! i've had them with smoked, salt cured, and sushi grade raw tuna and all three are delicious. i grew chives in my herb garden just to add to sour cream for spuds and cream cheese for bagels.

try the pinwheels on crisp rye toast points or pita wedges, btab. :)

I forgot to mention, but there is much better cream cheese than Philadelphia....here in Toronto we go to a "creamery", that's sells all kinds of imported, etc. cheeses, and also has the best cream cheese!
I agree Ella, my fav is Kaymak, we buy Polish cream or curd cheese overhere. I also make my own Polish farmers cheese, bring the freshest whole milk you can buy to a boil, squeeze some lemon juice into it, let it split then cool and leave it overnight to drip through a muslin cheese or jam strainer.
My Mum used to do this with raw milk. Do you get clotted cream in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom