Apparently, eggs are no longer hard boiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
This is probably not new to anyone on this forum, but it is for me. I felt compelled to share it with y’all, on the off chance that one of our more novice cooks can benefit from the tip.

Apparently, eggs are no longer soft-boiled or hard-boiled. They’re soft-cooked or hard-cooked. An even more accurate term would be soft or hard steamed! And steaming them not only cooks them perfectly, but in the case of hard-steamed eggs, makes them very easy to peel with no pitting or sticking. That equals beautiful deviled eggs.

You bring an inch to an inch and a half of water to a rapid boil in a saucepan large enough to hold the all the eggs in one layer (up to 6 eggs). Gently lower the refrigerated eggs, one by one, into the pan (you can use a steamer basket too), then cover the pan and set the timer for13 minutes. No more, no less (I’ve also learned that overcooked boiled eggs can be poisonous!). When the 13 minutes have passed, immediately place the eggs in a cold water bath, and leave until completely cooled. Place the lid back on the pan and shake vigorously several times (ATK suggest precisely 40 shakes. Not sure how they got there. Maybe they’re kidding?). The eggs will literally fall out of their shells! Of course, for soft-cooked eggs (6 minutes, same technique), you want to be a bit more careful cracking the shells. I tell you I was stunned, stunned, to see the results. Deviled eggs on my lunch menu at least once a week!

Here’s a link to the ATK YouTube demo

You beat me to it, Cheryl! :LOL: I did remember doing a deep dive on the subject before I started that thread.

...(I’ve also learned that overcooked boiled eggs can be poisonous!)...
Um, if that were true, I would not have made it out of my teens. :mrgreen:

..."And if you’re wondering, aside from not being terribly aesthetically pleasing, it is perfectly safe to eat this green part of the yolk."...

I use a modified Julia Child technique. Cover eggs with water, bring to a boil in a covered saucepan on high. Immediately remove from heat, let stand for 10-12 minutes depending on how "hard boiled" you want them, drain and replace with cold tap water twice, let cool. Perfect hard boiled eggs, no green rim every time. You can also soft boil, timing starting at 6 minutes.

After cooling, drain water, shake, rattle and roll eggs in pan to crack shells, fill pan with water to cover, let stand for a few, then peel. Comes off clean to nearly clean every time depending on age of egg.

I would *really* like to see your source for that.
I must admit, that I read that article with a bit of skepticism. I too would have been dead before I was 20 if it were completely true. The internet is a vast source of information, bound to be a lot of misinformation, too!

Last edited:
Sounds like the more you overcook an egg the less hydrogen sulfide there is as it changes to iron sulphide.

Besides, you’d probably have to eat a thousand eggs a day for it to have an effect.

I must admit, that I read that article with a bit of skepticism. I too would have been dead before I was 20 if it were completely true. The internet is a vast source of information, bound to be a lot of misinformation, too!
Yeesh, I really hope so because it's full of red flags that indicate it's not to be trusted.

Long before the internet was a thing, my dad taught me not to believe everything I read. That's still good advice.

Yeesh, I really hope so because it's full of red flags that indicate it's not to be trusted.

Long before the internet was a thing, my dad taught me not to believe everything I read. That's still good advice.

Did he include "and only half of what see". I also tend to put "or hear" along with "read".

I have found the addition of salt to the boiling water to make peeling easier.
Seems I prove it over and over as I forget sometimes to add the salt. And when I forget, peeling is hard.
My neighborhood bar has boiled eggs on the counter for patrons. I have watched the guy cook them and was shocked at how much salt he added to the water.
Looked to be at least a half cup with about a gallon of water.

After his set time, he removes them from the heated water and places the eggs back onto the carton (top removed) they came in.
No cooling steps whatsoever.

I have never eaten one of his eggs, but I have never seen anyone having an issue peeling them.
So, it seems salt does help?

I used to go through a particular "method" to hard cook eggs..

Now I just put them in the IP, with some water and pressure cook for 4 minutes.. Cool and easily peel and call it done..

BTW... If I put some cubed potatoes in first, I have potato salad.. :yum:

Ross

I have found the addition of salt to the boiling water to make peeling easier.
Seems I prove it over and over as I forget sometimes to add the salt. And when I forget, peeling is hard.
My neighborhood bar has boiled eggs on the counter for patrons. I have watched the guy cook them and was shocked at how much salt he added to the water.
Looked to be at least a half cup with about a gallon of water.

After his set time, he removes them from the heated water and places the eggs back onto the carton (top removed) they came in.
No cooling steps whatsoever.

I have never eaten one of his eggs, but I have never seen anyone having an issue peeling them.
So, it seems salt does help?
No, because steaming results in perfectly cooked boiled eggs that practically peel themselves. Steaming water never touches the eggs and the salt stays in the pot, so it has no effect.

The high heat from steaming, or cooking in the Instant Pot, causes the membrane around the egg to coagulate quickly so it doesn't stick to the shell.

No, because steaming results in perfectly cooked boiled eggs that practically peel themselves. Steaming water never touches the eggs and the salt stays in the pot, so it has no effect.

The high heat from steaming, or cooking in the Instant Pot, causes the membrane around the egg to coagulate quickly so it doesn't stick to the shell.
Thank you GG.. I didn't know why it works so well.. I've just found it to be simple and quick, with great consistency..

Good to know.. :)
Ross

Back
Top Bottom