"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,089
Sounds like the more you overcook an egg the less hydrogen sulfide there is as it changes to iron sulphide.

Besides, you’d probably have to eat a thousand eggs a day for it to have an effect.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I must admit, that I read that article with a bit of skepticism. I too would have been dead before I was 20 if it were completely true. The internet is a vast source of information, bound to be a lot of misinformation, too!
Yeesh, I really hope so because it's full of red flags that indicate it's not to be trusted.

Long before the internet was a thing, my dad taught me not to believe everything I read. That's still good advice.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeesh, I really hope so because it's full of red flags that indicate it's not to be trusted.

Long before the internet was a thing, my dad taught me not to believe everything I read. That's still good advice.
Did he include "and only half of what see". I also tend to put "or hear" along with "read".
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Did he include "and only half of what see". I also tend to put "or hear" along with "read".
Yes, he did. They've definitely been valuable guidelines.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 3,980
I have found the addition of salt to the boiling water to make peeling easier.
Seems I prove it over and over as I forget sometimes to add the salt. And when I forget, peeling is hard.
My neighborhood bar has boiled eggs on the counter for patrons. I have watched the guy cook them and was shocked at how much salt he added to the water.
Looked to be at least a half cup with about a gallon of water.


After his set time, he removes them from the heated water and places the eggs back onto the carton (top removed) they came in.
No cooling steps whatsoever.

I have never eaten one of his eggs, but I have never seen anyone having an issue peeling them.
So, it seems salt does help?
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,930
I used to go through a particular "method" to hard cook eggs..


Now I just put them in the IP, with some water and pressure cook for 4 minutes.. Cool and easily peel and call it done..

BTW... If I put some cubed potatoes in first, I have potato salad..





Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have found the addition of salt to the boiling water to make peeling easier.
Seems I prove it over and over as I forget sometimes to add the salt. And when I forget, peeling is hard.
My neighborhood bar has boiled eggs on the counter for patrons. I have watched the guy cook them and was shocked at how much salt he added to the water.
Looked to be at least a half cup with about a gallon of water.


After his set time, he removes them from the heated water and places the eggs back onto the carton (top removed) they came in.
No cooling steps whatsoever.

I have never eaten one of his eggs, but I have never seen anyone having an issue peeling them.
So, it seems salt does help?
No, because steaming results in perfectly cooked boiled eggs that practically peel themselves. Steaming water never touches the eggs and the salt stays in the pot, so it has no effect.

The high heat from steaming, or cooking in the Instant Pot, causes the membrane around the egg to coagulate quickly so it doesn't stick to the shell.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, because steaming results in perfectly cooked boiled eggs that practically peel themselves. Steaming water never touches the eggs and the salt stays in the pot, so it has no effect.

The high heat from steaming, or cooking in the Instant Pot, causes the membrane around the egg to coagulate quickly so it doesn't stick to the shell.
Thank you GG.. I didn't know why it works so well.. I've just found it to be simple and quick, with great consistency..



Good to know..
Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,707
+3 for the Instant Pot.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,930
Coincidence?



This just popped up on my FB feed..


How To Hard-Boil Eggs in the Instant Pot


Ross
__________________

__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, eggs, oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.