"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Head Chef

Apparently, eggs are no longer hard boiled

This is probably not new to anyone on this forum, but it is for me. I felt compelled to share it with y’all, on the off chance that one of our more novice cooks can benefit from the tip.

Apparently, eggs are no longer soft-boiled or hard-boiled. They’re soft-cooked or hard-cooked. An even more accurate term would be soft or hard steamed! And steaming them not only cooks them perfectly, but in the case of hard-steamed eggs, makes them very easy to peel with no pitting or sticking. That equals beautiful deviled eggs.

You bring an inch to an inch and a half of water to a rapid boil in a saucepan large enough to hold the all the eggs in one layer (up to 6 eggs). Gently lower the refrigerated eggs, one by one, into the pan (you can use a steamer basket too), then cover the pan and set the timer for13 minutes. No more, no less (I’ve also learned that overcooked boiled eggs can be poisonous!). When the 13 minutes have passed, immediately place the eggs in a cold water bath, and leave until completely cooled. Place the lid back on the pan and shake vigorously several times (ATK suggest precisely 40 shakes. Not sure how they got there. Maybe they’re kidding?). The eggs will literally fall out of their shells! Of course, for soft-cooked eggs (6 minutes, same technique), you want to be a bit more careful cracking the shells. I tell you I was stunned, stunned, to see the results. Deviled eggs on my lunch menu at least once a week!

Here’s a link to the ATK YouTube demo

Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Everyone seems to have their own foolproof method for hard 'boiling' eggs. Check this out: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

Old 06-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

Here's a lively thread on the subject, from a few years ago
The Last Word on Hard-Cooked Eggs?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Everyone seems to have their own foolproof method for hard 'boiling' eggs. Check this out: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html
I’m sure everyone does have their little trick. That’s what’s fun about cooking!

I’ve tried this method, and struggled to get the shells off. If you scroll down the page, there’s a link for steamed eggs!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Haaa Haaaa.

I have the perfect method, and I'm not telling.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Here's a lively thread on the subject, from a few years ago
The Last Word on Hard-Cooked Eggs?
You beat me to it, Cheryl! I did remember doing a deep dive on the subject before I started that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
...(I’ve also learned that overcooked boiled eggs can be poisonous!)...
Um, if that were true, I would not have made it out of my teens.

..."And if you’re wondering, aside from not being terribly aesthetically pleasing, it is perfectly safe to eat this green part of the yolk."...

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I use a modified Julia Child technique. Cover eggs with water, bring to a boil in a covered saucepan on high. Immediately remove from heat, let stand for 10-12 minutes depending on how "hard boiled" you want them, drain and replace with cold tap water twice, let cool. Perfect hard boiled eggs, no green rim every time. You can also soft boil, timing starting at 6 minutes.

After cooling, drain water, shake, rattle and roll eggs in pan to crack shells, fill pan with water to cover, let stand for a few, then peel. Comes off clean to nearly clean every time depending on age of egg.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
(I’ve also learned that overcooked boiled eggs can be poisonous!).
I would *really* like to see your source for that.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here’s the link to the article: https://io9.gizmodo.com/when-you-ove...wea-1682497376
Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I must admit, that I read that article with a bit of skepticism. I too would have been dead before I was 20 if it were completely true. The internet is a vast source of information, bound to be a lot of misinformation, too!

Tags
egg, eggs, oil