Aubergine roulades with red pepper sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Courtesy of a recipe card from my supermarket. These are simple to make and really good – and I speak as someone who isn’t too keen on cottage cheese!
In this recipe, griddling, rather than frying the aubergine means it absorbs less oil. If you do not have a griddle pan, use an ordinary grill. Serve the roulades with a green salad and ciabatta bread.
The sauce:
1 red pepper, quartered and deseeded
1tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
6tbsp water
The roulades:
2 aubergines, each weighing approximately 250g
4tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 x 250g pot Reduced Fat cottage cheese
25g pine nuts, toasted
1tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped

Make the sauce by grilling the pepper skin side up until the skin blackens. Place in a plastic bag until cool, then remove the skin. Cut into strips.
Heat the oil, add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the pepper, tomatoes, garlic and water, season, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Liquidise until smooth, then press through a sieve.
Cut the aubergines lengthways into 5mm slices. Brush with olive oil and place on a preheated griddle until they are soft and browned on both sides.
Mix together the cottage cheese, pine nuts, basil and salt and pepper. Spread a little of the mixture over each slice, scatter with tomatoes and roll up, starting at the widest end. Arrange in an ovenproof dish, and place in a preheated oven 190°C, gas mark 5 for 15-20 minutes or until piping hot. Serve, garnished with extra basil, with the warmed pepper sauce.

Ishbel, I want to shop at your store - it seems they have many wonderful sounding recipes! I love eggplants (as we call them here, we don't get to use the more beautiful sounding term 'aubergine') and this recipe really has a great mix of ingredients. Thank you so very much for sharing this treat!

Many of our supermarkets do these wipe-clean recipe cards.... Jamie Oliver is the chef for Sainsbury, for instance! They are often extremely good recipes, which I make time and time again.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to put eggplant after the word aubergine - oh an zucchini when I use courgette!!! :mrgreen:

It's a nice light dish, we love it!

Back
Top Bottom