"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have ran across a few. Bloody, partly formed chickes, etc.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh Rainee... did ya have to say that? I'd total forgotten about the time that our friends gave us some fresh eggs from their hen. I broke one of them into the bowl and a almost formed chick fell out. I was about 12 and couldn't stop screaming. It just grossed me out completely.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Speaking of eggs... I just posted some photos of Paul's new friends in Members photos.
He's decided that we can't live with out fresh eggs. So, we went out this weekend and bought some baby chicks.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I got my first rotten egg this winter in Texas .It was horrible.The smell made me gag.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Never had a bad egg so far, but there is always a first time for every thing aye ?
My friend keeps chickens and gives me some now and again, so they are always nice and fresh...
Viv...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Just last week I noticed that my eggs, which were in the fridge, were getting hairline cracks and leaking. They weren't that way when I put them in there. Yuk...Some broke as I was trying to extract them from their little dimples. The yolk was dark yellow, broken and spread. I threw them all away. Never had that happen before. Must have been a bad batch.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Pretty good rule of thumb, watch the expiration date, & you want to use them up in a few days from purchase. Read lots of so-called rules re freshness - i.e. put them in a bowl of water & if it floats it's gone bad. Use em up when they're fresh.

I rarely eat eggs unless it's a great recipe or an ingredient in a recipe I'd like to make. On occasion, I'll prepare an egg dish. A while back I posted a querry about egg substitutes. I saved the info if anyone is interested.

A thought I had at one time, was scrambling them, pouring into an ice cube tray, freezing, then popping them out as needed. Haven't tried that yet & don't know how long they'd last.

P.S. Also read some people wash them first, as they come from a chicken's whatever (city girl here).
Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

my son loves scrambled eggs and cheese, so i recently went out and bought organic chicken eggs, from cage free birds, raised in chemical free pastures, with personal assistants and trainers.
ok, only kidding about the personal assistants.
but they were terrible. half of them had bloody bits or stringy things in them. i ended up hard boiling them and feeding them to our cats and birds.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
chicken eggs, cage free
BT, glad they let those eggs out of the cage.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:45 AM   #20
Senior Cook

put them in a bowl of water & if it floats it's gone bad. Use em up when they're fresh.

This does work. I get eggs from friends with chickens. You float the egg in a glass if it floats its no good, if it sinks to the bottom its fine. If its halfway you can use it for cooking but it needs using up right away!

Tags
None