Baked French toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahoymatey2013

Senior Cook
If I make a whole pan up of the baked French toast, could I freeze it into individual servings?

I don't see why not. Wrap it well. I do this with cereal bars, casseroles, and egg McMuffin type things all the time.

Oh good. I made it for the first time the other day when I had friends over. Minus the syrup, yuck, I don't like that stuff but anyhow, I could make it up and freeze it so work nights won't have to be a chore to get ready for.

If you want to make the full pan so you have extra to freeze the previous suggestions would work. If you're just trying to make a smaller portion I have a great recipe. It's lighter than a full-pan size I made (then again, that was a slimmed down "Paula Deen before Diabetes" recipe and it was still too rich) and instead of a filled pan you do individual slices on a cookie sheet. And boy-oh-boy was it good! I even made the berry sauce, but used only one bag and just 1 T. of sugar (cut the sugar-to-berries in half). This one worked up quicker too. I used the best Challah bread I know of (too bad the diner is 90 miles from my house or I'd buy it more often...) instead of the French bread.

From "Taste of Home": Makeover Overnight French Toast

Even though I love bread I don't get a lot of different kinds since it would go bad so I try to stick with this kind of bread.... Stroehmann - Maier's Premium Italian

That's what I used in place of the French bread that my recipe called for. This is the recipe I used.....

1 Lb loaf French bread, cubed (I used my Italian bread though)

8oz cream cheese, cubed

8 eggs

2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)

3/4 cup sugar

6 TBS melted butter

1/4 cup maple syrup (I skipped this & used cinnamon)

1. Spray 13X9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread in dish; sprinkle with cream cheese. Top with remaining bread.

2. Whisk all ingredients in large bowl; pour over bread, pressing on bread with a spatula to soak up egg mixture. Cover & refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

* my review* It was pretty good but I think next time I want to try and melt the cream cheese, if that's possible.

If you want to make the full pan so you have extra to freeze the previous suggestions would work. If you're just trying to make a smaller portion I have a great recipe. It's lighter than a full-pan size I made (then again, that was a slimmed down "Paula Deen before Diabetes" recipe and it was still too rich) and instead of a filled pan you do individual slices on a cookie sheet. And boy-oh-boy was it good! I even made the berry sauce, but used only one bag and just 1 T. of sugar (cut the sugar-to-berries in half). This one worked up quicker too. I used the best Challah bread I know of (too bad the diner is 90 miles from my house or I'd buy it more often...) instead of the French bread.

From "Taste of Home": Makeover Overnight French Toast

Your recipe sounds good also but I refuse to buy that fake eggs substitute stuff. Do you think I could sub milk or something else for it? I also wouldn't make the berry sauce, I'm not too crazy for fruit sauces unless it's over cheese cake.

This recipe with a nicer bread may be something I could make for our monthly cookouts up at the camper. We start off with breakfast & just picnic all day long with people coming and going the whole day. Each person brings a few things to share with everyone.

Your recipe sounds good also but I refuse to buy that fake eggs substitute stuff. Do you think I could sub milk or something else for it?...

I actually used real eggs when I made it. I suppose if you want to limit cholesterol you could toss the yolks and double up on the whites, although I think current research says that the cholesterol in eggs isn't bad. Wait till next week though! :LOL:

I eat eggs almost everyday & I eat cheese everyday. I try not to listen to those food studies too much except for the GMO news, that's one area that scares me. I am diabetic but I try to moderate my intake of sugar & carbs but it's hard. I also refuse to eat those sugar substitutes.

Your recipe sounds good also but I refuse to buy that fake eggs substitute stuff. Do you think I could sub milk or something else for it? I also wouldn't make the berry sauce, I'm not too crazy for fruit sauces unless it's over cheese cake.

This recipe with a nicer bread may be something I could make for our monthly cookouts up at the camper. We start off with breakfast & just picnic all day long with people coming and going the whole day. Each person brings a few things to share with everyone.

1/4 cup of egg substitute equals 1 egg...

I eat eggs almost everyday & I eat cheese everyday. I try not to listen to those food studies too much except for the GMO news, that's one area that scares me. I am diabetic but I try to moderate my intake of sugar & carbs but it's hard. I also refuse to eat those sugar substitutes.

I too am a diabetic. When I was first diagnosed I tried all the sugar substitutes. They all left a metallic taste in my mouth. So I made a decision. I will give up all sugar items as long as I can have regular sugar in my coffee. And I stuck by that. I fought being a diabetic. Then I got the message. My first step was to start losing the weight. Exercise was not possible. I have arthritis in my left hip and spine. Be calcium deposits right at the base of my spine. It makes walking very difficult. Then I concentrated on the foods I was eating. Vegetables became my best friends. After 15 years of the battle, I am off my medications of insulin and control my diabetes with diet alone. I have had some close calls over the years and had to call 911. But lessons have been learned. :angel:

I lost 40 pounds last year and I was exercising big time. I have everything at home to so workouts now but with Boomer passing and getting these 2 new dogs I haven't been able to exercise so I'm getting flabby. I did gain 7 pounds on my cruise I took over Christmas but ill work on that.

I had my a1c down to 6.3 but I go for my bloodwork this week to see how I'm doing.

I changed my eating habits and I try to never make anything out of a box anymore. I do have one weakness and that's the Velvetta Mac and cheese. I make that, maybe, once a month.

Back
Top Bottom