Basic proportions of eggs: liquid for custard or quiche filling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subfuscpersona

Sous Chef
How many whole eggs should one add to X amount of milk (or cream or half-n-half) to thicken the mixture for a savory custard or quiche filling?

Please specify size of eggs (x-large/large/medium) as well as the number of eggs for the quantity of milk.

I don't need specific recipes (I can figure out what other ingredients I feel like adding). I just need the basic egg to milk ratio.

I ask b/c the local supermarket had a super sale on medium eggs (so, if your proportions are for a different egg size, I need to know that).

TIA

sub:

Recipes usually call for large eggs. The American Egg Board has a website that specifies substitutions for different sizes (i.e. 4 mediums in place of three large, etc.).

As far as egg/dairy ratios, I can't answer you specifically. If I wanted to answer that question for myself, I would collect a number of recipes for custard or quiche fillings and develop a ratio from them.

I use 6 eggs to 3 cups of milk in my custard pie recipe....so 2/1? These are large eggs...(which I think look medium...hehe)

In my reading a pretty fool-proof formula (that I now use) it has generally been 3 eggs to one cup of milk. They generally do not specify egg size, but I always use eggs of the larger variety (say 55-60g, 2oz.).

Additionally you could scale it up to 4 eggs per cup of milk for a denser custard. Or perhaps a 4:1 ratio would be better for these medium sized eggs you bought anyway.

as a general rule. one egg = 1/4 cup of egg. so if using difrent sized eggs just scramble them and mesure out 1/4 cup per egg requierd. usualy larg eggs are about that amount

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom