Basic Quiche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Basic Quiche

4 eggs, beaten
2 cups Half & Half
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash Pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
6 ounces shredded cheese
1 9-inch pie crust

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix together eggs, Half & Half, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Layer cheese in bottom of pie crust, pour egg mixture over (do this on the oven shelf so you don't have to try to carry it). Bake for 15 minutes, lower the heat to 350 F and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Additions:

If you are going to add other ingredients, veggies and or meat, reduce the eggs to three and only use 1 1/2 cups of half and half. Steam or saute chopped veggies, precook any chopped meat used. Layer on top of the cheese that you choose.

Asparagus
Tomatoes (don't cook)
Leeks
Onions
Potato
Green Chilies
Broccoli
Spinach

Any vegetable can be used, match with your favorite cheese. I've had a very good chorizo, green chile and Monterrey Jack cheese quiche.

Gluten-Free Nut Crust
2 cups fine crushed roasted nuts, you can use smoked almond, anything you like.
6 Tablespoons butter, melted

Mix together, press into bottom of 9-inch pie tin and up the sides. Use to make quiche.

Last edited:
Nice base recipe Princess. One of my favourite combos is broccoli, chicken and Swiss.

Did you know that a Quiche Lorraine can only be called that if it only contains bacon and Gruyere cheese? No onions, no ham, no cheddar? Our very French Chef Instructor was adamant about that!

LOL!!! I have a Tomato Quiche that includes a healthy (unhealthy) smear of Vegemite all over the bottom...but, it is to die for! I think I made a true Lorraine once, love it but I like making more additions. Ham and cheddar! Mushrooms, leeks and bacon is another.

Last edited:
Nice base recipe Princess. One of my favourite combos is broccoli, chicken and Swiss.

Did you know that a Quiche Lorraine can only be called that if it only contains bacon and Gruyere cheese? No onions, no ham, no cheddar? Our very French Chef Instructor was adamant about that!
He is completely correct.The crust is the other very important part. Pate Brisee google the recipe it should use egg yolks , the beauty of this crust is it is very crisp and can be rolled out thinly :yum:

He is completely correct.The crust is the other very important part. Pate Brisee google the recipe it should use egg yolks , the beauty of this crust is it is very crisp and can be rolled out thinly :yum:

Thanks, Bolas! That is the crust, with extra sugar, I use for my individual custard and fruit tarts. Knowing I can cut back or eliminate the sugar...lovely, I love this crust!

LIke Boston Baked Beans. They can only be Called Boston Baked Beans if they were baked in Boston. Who knew?:chef:

Ah yes, Pate Brisee. I was horrible at making pastry until I got to school and learned this method - now it is all I use for my savory (and even some sweet) dishes.

I have always used well chilled shortening or lard for my pie crusts, ice water too. For me the only difference is using butter and sugar, same method. Easy!

Here is my Pate Brisee recipe. It is in metric measures and I apologize that I have never converted it as that is the way I bake. Maybe someone can do a quick conversion. Anyway, it is pretty fail-proof....even I can make it!:LOL:

Here is my Pate Brisee recipe. It is in metric measures and I apologize that I have never converted it as that is the way I bake. Maybe someone can do a quick conversion. Anyway, it is pretty fail-proof....even I can make it!:LOL:

Aw heck, I have a scale that weighs both ways...:LOL:

I figured you would be fine, Princess (after all, you ARE a princess! :angel:) - I was concerned for people who might not have a scale and want the cup equivalents. ;)

Should have heard Shrek the other day when he found a recipe taped to the cupboard door that was in mls and kgs...:ROFLMAO:

This brie and ham cheese was inspired by one mentioned in the movie "The Waitress"
It's not any more difficult to make than a basic quiche, however it's the most delectable thing you'll ever eat. So good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lorraine, France - Northeast Province

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

Firstly, Quiche Lorraine is a traditional recipe from this northeast province which has become world renowned. However, Lorraine located on the border of Alsace and Germany, also has many variations and family recipes are uncountable.

In Alsace, a Flammekueche is bacon and onion with cream in a tart, a type of quiche in this zone.

Lorraine has brought the world quiche Lorraine however, from country to country depending on product availability in each region, the farmers and the restaurateurs have changed the type of charcuterie or the type of cheese and vegetables and / or the quiche pastry shell as well.
Have a nice Sunday.
M.C.

I make individual serving Quiche Lorraine mini-pies by the following method. (Use any filling recipe you prefer.)

4 puff pastry shells (Pepperidge Farm)

Thaw pastry shells at room temperature for about an hour. Separate them, place them between sheets of plastic wrap and roll them out until very thin. Using individual 10 oz. Pyrex dishes, spray or wipe with cooking oil to prevent sticking, then place a rolled out pastry shell in each dish. There is no need to cover the entire dish and you can cut off any pastry hanging over the edge. Poke pastry several times with a fork and bake in preheated 350° oven for 12 minutes, then remove and allow to cool. The pastry will be bloated out at first but will subside as it cools.

Then continue with your usual filling and baking.

I'm always amazed that the nutmeg makes such a difference! IMO it's unthinkable to make a quiche without nutmeg. I also like to dot the top of the quiche with pieces of butter.

Back
Top Bottom