Blue cheese substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And crumbly gorgonzola is just about as "strong" as any American or Danish blue. The gorgonzola dolce is a bit less pungent, but also a different type of blue cheese. And for sure, Stilton is very pungent.
The idea to use less is a good one, in my opinion. Blue has a salty characteristic also that intensifies the taste to me. Maybe the OP can "sneak up on it". OR do as has been suggested, and sub the feta--also having that salt intensity but without so much of the sharp blue flavor.

If you have access to a British cheese shop, you could possibly buy some White Stilton.
Everyone knows Blue Stilton, but few know there is a white version. It's strong, potent, sharp and extremely delicious.

Alternately, a hard, Spanish sheep's milk cheese might work, although they are notorious for not melting.

I second what Michael suggested wholeheartedly. Have you ever tasted blue cheese melted in sauce, casserole, quiche etc.? I can't stand them by themselves raw either, but when it is used in cooking this way, it takes a surprisingly pleasant turn. I learned to love them in cooking rather recently, after years of hating and refusing them flat out and I feel rather silly for it:-p . It is honestly worth a try.

However, if you are still shy about it, I recommend taleggio, semi soft, melts nicely and has a pleasantly piquant flavour without being "mouldy" so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom