Bluevein Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Photocourtesy: Consejo Regulador Cabrales, Asturias, Spain.

Asturian Cabrales, Gorgonzola and Roquefort are my fave blues, and we enjoy them most as follows:

1. salads
2. international cheese platters with crackers & breadsticks
3. baked pastas

How do you enjoy your blue vein cheeses ? Which varieties do you like ?

Look forward to your replies.
Margi.

Attachments

• CABRALES.jpg
    CABRALES.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
My favorite is Moody Blue Smoked Blue Cheese
Roth Käse
I also like Gorgonzola Mountain (Piccante) and Pont Reyes.

I must admit I do like blue vein cheese..I enjoy it with crackers and wine

Everything tastes better with wine!

Actually beer pairs better with cheese than wine does. Maytag Blue is the best here in the US, on par with the best in the world.
Is it only a coincidence that Frederick Louis “Fritz” Maytag III (born December 9, 1937 in Newton, Iowa) is the former owner of Anchor Brewing Company in San Francisco and is Chairman of the Board of the Maytag Dairy Farms (maker of Maytag Blue cheese )

Actually beer pairs better with cheese than wine does. Maytag Blue is the best here in the US, on par with the best in the world.
Is it only a coincidence that Frederick Louis “Fritz” Maytag III (born December 9, 1937 in Newton, Iowa) is the former owner of Anchor Brewing Company in San Francisco and is Chairman of the Board of the Maytag Dairy Farms (maker of Maytag Blue cheese )

Too bad I don't drink beer - I'd like to try it with various cheeses. I'm not wild about Maytag Blue - I prefer other blue cheeses, such as Point Reyes, Moody Blue, etc.

Great topic Margi Cintrano and I must say, I am Sweetie go crazy when we received an order of Stilton.

Last edited:
Semi Sweet Portuguese Port & Blue Cheese

In my opinion, bluevein cheeses pair most exemplary with Portuguese or Sardinian Port or Semi Sweet Moscatel or Valle D´Aosta Spumantes or Semi Sweet Cavas and for Cabrales Blue, from Cabrales, Asturias, Spain; the land of apple cider, Sidra ( cider ) Natural or Sidra Champoinese Style ...

Once in awhile I like an ice cold black beer with Mexican cuisine, or a German black, St. Paulie Girl with Swiss or German sausages, however, in all honesty, I prefer wines, sparkling wines, cider and brandies & cordials.

Was raised by a French lady and Italian gentleman ... wine culture ...

All my best regards.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Margi.

Maytag blue is my favorite but I love all but the really musty blue cheeses.

On baguette slices with sliced apples and a good white wine.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, blue cheese is a favorite!
I don't like the way it melts, as it tends to break and the cheese grease seeps out, so I usually have it uncooked in some way.

Jenny,

What do you mean by "Musty" ? Aged ? Pungent ?

Have you ever had Cabrales which is aged in leaves in dark caves and shacks in Asturias, Spain in the mountains of Spain ?

I believe you would enjoy and there is a Cabrales called Picón, meaning piquant or spicy ... very pungent !

In Tapas Bars throughout the peninsula it is served on canapés and various bread toasts, and combined with cream or milk or cream cheese as a spread ... It is also created into a sauce with same ingredients as a side sauce for entrecöte ...

Best regards.
Margi.

N.M.,

Bluevein cheeses are usually best in interntl. cheese platters at room temperature with a wonderful Portuguese Port or Sardinian Port ... a bit semi sweet pairs wonderfully with such pungent cheeses.

Thanks for feedbk.
Margaux.

Jenny,

What do you mean by "Musty" ? Aged ? Pungent ?

Have you ever had Cabrales which is aged in leaves in dark caves and shacks in Asturias, Spain in the mountains of Spain ?

I believe you would enjoy and there is a Cabrales called Picón, meaning piquant or spicy ... very pungent !

In Tapas Bars throughout the peninsula it is served on canapés and various bread toasts, and combined with cream or milk or cream cheese as a spread ... It is also created into a sauce with same ingredients as a side sauce for entrecöte ...

Best regards.
Margi.

I have had cabrales both in Spain and here and I like it a lot. I would love the Picon!

There are some veined cheeses that seem musty to me and leave a bitter taste. I dont think "pungent" is exactly the word to describe them ...

I have taken some cheese classes here and recall a particular cheese that I could not abide whatsoever because of the musty tase ... I wish I could remember its name ...

Jenny,

Glad to hear, you enjoy Cabrales ...

Okay, understand Musty Bitter verses spicy pungent ... Interesting, cheese tasting courses.

Very fascinating.

In Boston ?

Thanks for feedbk.
Margi.

I love Cambazola, just by itself or smeared on good, whole grain baguette or Scandinavian style rye crisp bread.

I have had Stilton once. That was divine on its own and with sliced fruit and a lovely port.

Merstar,

I have never had Maytag bluevein. The next time we travel over to the USA, we shall taste test some.

Thanks for your contribution.
Margaux.

As I mentioned previously, Maytag Blue is not one of my favorites. I much prefer Point Reyes and Roth Kase's Moody Blue, which is smoked.

Back
Top Bottom