"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The problem, as i understand it, isn't from the milk itself, but from contaminants that may be on the teet, or on the milking equipment, pails and such. The milk comes out cleaned by the immune system of the cow, just a mother's milk is pristine for the nursing baby in humans. Listeria and its cousins are introduced to milk, and other foods through processing equipment. Pasteurization destroys the nasy critters before they get into your gut.

Milk could be bombarded with gamma, or x-rays to destroy the microbes as well, but people tend to be afraid of anything that's been irradiated, not understanding the process, or the science behind it. I do know that boiling milk changes the flavor, and IMO, not in a good way if I want to simply drink the milk.

Personally, I would like to find out what freeze-dried milk tastes like. It would be shelf stable, and should taste like ordinary milk when water is again added. At least, that's my first expectation.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Didn't they used to sell freeze dried skim milk? Some sort of process that involved spraying and freezing? The dry product had a similar texture to freeze dried instant coffee. Whatever the process, it was better than the regular powdered milk, but still not very nice.

I'm cautious and mildly skeptical of irradiated food. People usually assume that I don't understand about the process. No, I don't think that irradiating food with ionizing radiation makes it radioactive. I also don't think that shining light (electromagnetic radiation) on food will make it emit light or that putting a cell phone, which emits radio-frequency radiation (part of electromagnetic radiation), on my food will cause the food to make phone calls.

I'm concerned about possible nutrient loss. I have read that it can degrade the flavour of fats. I'm concerned that food processors will be less cautious with foods that will be irradiated, because the ionizing radiation will kill all (or almost all) the mico-organisms. Packaged foods have regulations about how many insect parts, rodent hairs, and poop is allowed in packaged foods (the amounts are tiny). I don't want the amount of allowed poop to be increased, just because it isn't a health hazard. I know, that's an emotional, rather than a scientific perspective.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't know that it's a better question, but I'll answer it It bothers me because the internet and our country are awash in pseudoscientific thinking that seriously hurts people. Since the internet is forever, and I care about this site, it's important to me to counter it when I can.

I really appreciate that. Thank you for the reminder. I will try to be more cautious how I write my skeptical and contrarian views.

Quote:
I never said it was automatic. But the consequences of being on the losing side of that gamble can be horrific, so I think it's important to have balance in the conversation. Take a look back at Kayelle's' comment in this thread.
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Yes, drinking raw milk is a gamble, but with benefits as well as risks. This is why I like the West Virginia law about raw milk. They still won't be able to sell it. The people getting it will have to sign a waiver stating that they understand the risks. I'm all in favour of food safety regulations. But, I like leaving it open for people to make their own, informed choices.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #53
Master Chef

Love raw milk. Grew up on it. Of course back then it was one owner, with one cow, that was practically family pet. There was no problem with it.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech3d View Post
This is a new one to me, someone I know told me that if you boil milk it will increase its shelf life.

I am not to sure about this because once you open the package, the milk is exposed to air which shortens the shelf life.

I could Google this, but I though it may be interesting as a general topic for others to be aware of.

Thoughts...comment?

Thanks,
Joe
Commercially sterilised milk and UHT milk both have a longer shelf life that pasteurised or raw milk ....UNTIL the packages are opened. Thereafter they only have the same life as fresh milk. My friend's mother, a farmer's daughter brought up before the wide availability of household refrigerators, always boiled her doorstep milk as soon as it was delivered to keep it fresh. I don't think it kept any longer than the un-boiled milk would have done as she kept it in a jug with a clean cloth over it in the coolness of the cellar.

Both UHT (Ultra heat treated) and sterilised (ie boiled) milks taste vile especially in tea and coffee so I stick with my ordinary doorstep delivery milk and keep it in the 'fridge.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #55
Executive Chef

If you have a surfeit of milk you can use it in porridge, rice pudding (short grain rice and don't boil it in water before adding the milk), milky coffee, bread pudding, egg custard and any dish connected with it.

Just don't give it to the cat - it's bad for felines.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Commercially sterilised milk and UHT milk both have a longer shelf life that pasteurised or raw milk ....UNTIL the packages are opened. Thereafter they only have the same life as fresh milk. My friend's mother, a farmer's daughter brought up before the wide availability of household refrigerators, always boiled her doorstep milk as soon as it was delivered to keep it fresh. I don't think it kept any longer than the un-boiled milk would have done as she kept it in a jug with a clean cloth over it in the coolness of the cellar.

Both UHT (Ultra heat treated) and sterilised (ie boiled) milks taste vile especially in tea and coffee so I stick with my ordinary doorstep delivery milk and keep it in the 'fridge.
Doorstep delivery? That's gone the way of the dinosaur here. There may still be some pockets of the US where it's available, but that would be an exception. I still remember the days when every home had an insulated box on the front step for the milkman to put the delivery in, but no more.

There is still one dairy serving the Denver area and the front range, but in 35 years living there, I never knew anyone who used the service. I used to start work at 5 AM, and I on rare occasions I saw a milk truck on my way to work, but that was it. There was a time when, if you were out before dawn on a weekday, you almost couldn't help but see one.

Tags
milk, oil, shelf life