"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Boiled scrambled eggs?? Do you cook eggs this way??

Michelin-Starred Chef Reveals A Surprising Secret To His Scrambled Eggs | HuffPost

Saw this link and I am passing it along..

Old 09-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Head Chef

I've see and had eggs cooked in boiling water with the eggs in a plastic bag, but have never even heard of anyone doing scrambled eggs directly in the boiling water. Interesting.

Some of my friends do "omelets" in ziplock bags in boiling water. They are okay, but not the taste treat of an omelet cooked in real butter.

CD

Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I saw this video a while ago and made a mental note to try it out of curiosity. As CD said, the lack of butter or bacon fat will make a difference. I don't think a drizzle of olive oil will make the difference.

Still gonna try it though.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

Nope. I'll stick with either poached in simmering water, or scrambled in butter in my little Teflon pan.

I can't imagine dumping a bowl of whisked eggs in a pot of water and calling them 'scrambled'. Eww. JMO.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I saw this video a while ago and made a mental note to try it out of curiosity. As CD said, the lack of butter or bacon fat will make a difference. I don't think a drizzle of olive oil will make the difference.

Still gonna try it though.
Tell us how it turns out. I am curious, but I don't know that I am curious enough to try it -- especially if you try it and tell me about it.

I don't eat scrambled eggs as often as I'd like to. So, when I do, I go all out decadent using a chunk of butter my doctor would not approve of.

CD
Old 09-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Head Chef

Anything that will keep me from having to clean up the mess that's called a pan after I've scrambled some eggs. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and if it works, that's how eggs are gonna be done till I get a non-stick pan to cook them in.

After today's mess, it certainly couldn't get any worse.

Edit: in the video, why is she straining her eggs before she whips them? I've never seen that before.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Anything that will keep me from having to clean up the mess that's called a pan after I've scrambled some eggs. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and if it works, that's how eggs are gonna be done till I get a non-stick pan to cook them in.

Edit: in the video, why is she straining her eggs before she whips them? I've never seen that before.
I have a non-stick skillet that I use only for eggs and the occasional crepes. It couldn't be easier to clean - stuff just wipes right out.

I don't know why she's doing that for scrambled eggs. Some people do that for poached eggs because it gets rid of the little strings.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:

I can't imagine not having a nonstick "egg pan" in my kitchen. I have a fairly heavy 8" aluminum nonstick pan that gets used almost exclusively for my morning eggs a couple of times per week. I do small omelets, scrambles, and sunny side up fried. I only do omelets on rare occasions.

I use many omelet ingredients in my scrambles, but I just don't worry about making them look as pretty. Chopped onion, peppers (including jalapeños), mushrooms, etc. (pretty much whatever I have in the veggie drawer), sautéed in butter, then add the beaten eggs and cook just done, not dry. Stir in some shredded cheese and let it melt from the residual heat.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:

Buy a cheap-o nonstick egg pan, stat!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

Interesting.

When I add beaten eggs to soups like Stracciatelli or Avgolemono I don't get a similar looking result.

I'll give it a try!

Tags
cook, egg, eggs, oil