"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-15-2005, 04:39 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Breakfast food

what do ppl usually have for breakfast
i wanna have some variety in regards to the first meal of the day, as i've been havin the same stuff every day in the past 18 years; cheese and marmalde on toast with milk and occasionally i'll have eggs(rarely these days) but if i'm feelin like something really radical i would have croissants
but i stay away from that stuff cuz im on a diet

Old 11-15-2005, 05:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Milk and cheese and marmalade are probably just as 'bad' for you in terms of sugar/fats as an occasional egg and croissants!

In the winter months I eat porridge, made the Scots and served with salt and a little splash of milk.

In the summer I tend to just eat a couple of slices of toasted wholegrain bread, with a smear of butter and marmite or butter and home-made marmalade (only a smear, though, as I am diabetic!)

Old 11-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Milk and cheese and marmalade are probably just as 'bad' for you in terms of sugar/fats as an occasional egg and croissants!
oh no i'm really careful with everything i eat. the milk is the no fat brand (0.1 grams of fat or less), the cheese is low fat ricotta and the marmalade is homemade
Old 11-15-2005, 05:26 AM   #4
Executive Chef

What about porridge? Made from steel cut oats, no milk during the cooking process, a 'splash' to serve and with a light sprinkling of salt. Oats are a recognised cholesterol-buster!

I eat it the Scottish way (as above), but you could probably top it with a little honey or perhaps some stewed apples or other fruits.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

yeah i eat an ethnic type of poridge but its summer down here in australia so its not the ideal food at the moment
thanks for the idea though
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

My workday breakfast consists of súrmjólk ("sour milk" - really a type of runny yogurt, but you could use buttermilk instead) with a little bit of brown sugar, and cornflakes mixed in. Fruit can be used instead of cornflakes. Bananas and apples are good with it.

A breakfast I like on weekends is toast with butter and a slice of ham, topped with a poached egg, and tea to drink with it.

You could try muesli with milk or buttermilk. If you get the right type of muesli, it will be both healty and tasty (check the package for the sugar content).
Old 11-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Veggie filled omelets, bagels and cream cheese, pancakes, crepes, french toast with bacon, home fries, raisin toast, fresh fruit salad, cream of wheat...that's what I typically eat.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I do not usually eat breakfast just because I wake up the last possible second to shower and get out the door. When i worked from my home then I would have breakfast though.

My favorite breakfast is a good bagel with some whitefish salad and a slice of cheese (swiss or jarlsberg are my favorites for this). If I have more time and $ then I will also put some lox (smoked salmon) maybe some lox spread and a load of veggies (tomato, lettuce, onion, cucumber)and maybe some capers as well.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I am probably not the healthiest breakfast eater, I love croissants, pancakes, toasted baguettes with butter and honey or jam, or if we made some cake or some sort of dessert the day before I love them as well for a breakfast!! But also when I am in a mood I like muesli with yogurt and fresh fruit as well. I prefer yogurt to milk as the cereals don't get as soggy, and it is more satisfying to eat...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I make an EggBeaters omlet with light cheese and bacon bits or..
An onion bagel with reduced fat cream cheese and lox ...or
Oatmeal sweetened with either apricot jam or maple syrup ...or
An English muffin with PBJ ...or
Waffles and maple syrup ...or
Cheerios with a banana ...or, on the weekends...
Fried eggs and corned beef hash, sausages, bacon (pick one) with home fries.

Tags
None