"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Linguine Pasta with chicken in a tomato garlic sauce

1 TBS oil
2 chicken breasts, cubed
dried thyme and basil
juice from 1/2 lemon

4 cloves garlic, finely minced
3-4 tomatoes, depending on size, chopped, reserve juice also
1/4 cup brie cheese, remove rind
s & p to taste

Start cooking linquini and see *** below

Mix oil, lemon juice, and herbs, and toss with chicken cubes. Do this at least 1/2 hour ahead - an hour would be better. Salt and pepper chicken here also. You will be doing this in the sauce but for the chicken to get a good flavor I always salt and pepper it before/while cooking.

Saute chicken cubes in a bit of oil and when almost done but not quite remove from skillet. Add a bit more oil if necessary and add minced garlic - be sure and get up any browned bits in the pan and mix with garlic and oil. Add tomatoes, and reduce until you have the sauce a consistency you like. Add chicken cubes in time for them to finish cooking. If you like a thicker sauce reduce liquid out slowly to concentrate flavors. That may take 15 to 20 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste and remainder of dried herbs.

***When linguini is almost done add your brie pieces to your simmering sauce. Let melt for a few minutes - make sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Never tried any of these .... (more of a plain brie and baguette girl) but here are some:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blbrie.htm

Old 08-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Kitchenelf!!
YUMMY! Thanks for posting.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
Executive Chef

broil salmon fillets with either an herb, dijon, or curry rub. 2 minutes before done, add slices of brie to the top and brown! wow, yum!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheLemonSong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
broil salmon fillets with either an herb, dijon, or curry rub. 2 minutes before done, add slices of brie to the top and brown! wow, yum!
I've got a 1/4lb salmon fillet I'm going to try this out on..if I like it I'll bust out a bigger fillet.

The only problem for me is that I don't have dijon...my feeling is that I'm going to make a curry, garlic, chive, and tomato mixture in my small food processor. Then pan-sear the salmon, and add the mixture before baking, then use the broiler for the brie!

I'll let you know how this turns ou, great suggestion...I hadn't even considered salmon and brie I kept thinking about chicken and darker meats.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheLemonSong
I don't know how I feel about the brie on salmon. It seemed to lose its flavour under the broiler...the salmon was certainly tasty and the brie didn't detract from that, but it was most def. overpowered.

I guess I'll just stick to eating it plain or with bread and perhaps wine if I have the cash to afford a bottle (I got the brie as a gift, otherwise I wouldn't have it at at all..and certainly not in the quantity I have now).
Old 08-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Gosh - missed this thread! Here's one that's elegant and yummy.

ASPARAGUS AND BRIE TART

1 sheet frozen puff pastry

1/3 pound double-crème brie, rind removed and sliced thinly

1 ½ pounds thick asparatus, ends removed, blanched til crisp tender

1 T. olive oil

salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Roll puff pastry out on a floured surface to apx 16 x 10 rectangle. Lightly score 1 inch from the edges to mark a border. Piece dough inside the markings; bake until golden, about 15 minutes. You can use pie weights in the middle of the pastry to keep it from ‘puffing’. Use for the first 10 minutes, then remove for the last 5.

Remove from oven, and layer with brie slices. Trim asparagus to fit width wise inside the tart shell, alternating ends with tips. Brush with oil, season w/salt, pepper. Bake til spears are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:03 AM   #18
Cook

Send a message via MSN to cc2003btw
Sandwich. Open up a baguette, cut it to whatever size you feel like eating. Put in some salad leaves (cos lettuce works well) and then some long slices of brie across. Then sliced chicken breast, then half some red grapes and put those in. Thats you baguette.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:40 AM   #19
Master Chef

i know there is something awesome i make with brie, but i cannot think of it at all. let me think about it and i'll post later.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Why do anything to the Brie at all?

The only recipe I would suggest is good crusty bread and some red wine.
A guaranteed gourmet delight.

I know the Germans bread and deep-fry Camembert and serve it with jam, but this seems a fairly heathen thing to do.

It's like oysters: the very best way of all to enjoy them is on their own without any preparation at all.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Tags
None