Brie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLemonSong

Assistant Cook
Anyone got a good brie recipe...I have a block of it...I love it by itself, and not with anything sweet...but since my dad bought it for me as a gift, and I have a bit more than I'm used to I thought about using some of it in a recipe too...

Sorry TheLemonSong I'm not sure what the brie is...but I searched. I found that it is a kind of cheese. And I found this recipe, maybe it helps to you:) ...

Bit of Brie
(serves 12)

One 14 oz round of Brie
1 TBL. butter
1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
1/3 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Remove top rind of the Brie. Place on a microwave safe platter.

Heat the butter in a saucepan until melted. Add the pecans and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the Kahlua and brown sugar.

Spoon the pecan mixture over the Brie, spreading to the edge. Microwave on high 1 minute; turn the platter. Microwave on High for 45 seconds longer or until bubbly.

Serve with melba toast round or French bread slices.

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/DAIRY/Cheese_Bit_of_Brie.html

Here's a recipe I posted a while back which uses roquefort - you could use cubed Brie and just add a sprinkling of provencal style herbs...?

Tomatoes with French cheese and pine nuts

Halve 6 large tomatoes (we have a wonderful variety called Jack Hawkins... truly taste like tomatoes USED to taste!) and place cut side up in a shallow, oiled baking dish. Add plenty of ground black pepper. Crumble about 100g Roquefort into small pieces and scatter over. Mix 3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs and 25g pine kernels. Moisten with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle over the tomatoes. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C, gas mark 5, for 20-25 minutes.

Great with garlic bread and/or a green salad.

Hi,

I also love brie. All I do is put it on the BBQ, grill it until hot and then serve it with a large mixed salad with dressing, sounds boring but it quick and easy and tasty.

Susi

This is where I have trouble...I don't want something sweet, because I'd rather eat the brie by itself, I don't have a grill, and honestly I don't know how a substitution for roquefort would be...I've heard of brie chicken,b ut its generally done on whole chickens, and I just don't have that kind of cash, that much brie, or enough people to eat it with me (i have no friends, just moved to a new area 8 hours from my home)...

I know lots of standards, (i.e. garlic bread w/ brie, brie w/ fruit, etc.) but I was hoping for something along the lines of a pasta or meat dish...perhaps I'll have to create my own.

I'm planning to either purchase some buffalo or some lamb this weekend (farmers market), maybe I could stuff one of those and do a pan-sear and bake...

With a sprinkling of Herbes de Provence, Brie would be an acceptable alternative for my recipe (in my opinion!).

Lamb and French cheese sounds odd to me, unless you do a Greek-style dish, using the Brie in place of Halloumi ?

Oh man, there is a recipe on here for Brie Stuffed Chicken breasts that is to die for. Mish posted it. I don't have much time, but I will search for the link later for you.

You will think I have lost my mind (actually...there is much evidence to support such a theory) But I have used Brie in my Macaroni and cheese recipe.

I take chicken breats that have been pounded flat
and roll some brie up in them. Wrap with bacon and then
brown on top of the stove in butter and olive oil. Continue
baking in oven until done. YUMMMMMY! Other cheeses can be
used as well. Sometimes I add onions and or mushrooms to the roll.

Bit of Brie!!

That sounds so good.
I've copied and pasted and printed.
Thanks!!! Tried to give you Karma but,
it wouldn't let me. :(

Linguine Pasta with chicken in a tomato garlic sauce

1 TBS oil
2 chicken breasts, cubed
dried thyme and basil
juice from 1/2 lemon

4 cloves garlic, finely minced
3-4 tomatoes, depending on size, chopped, reserve juice also
1/4 cup brie cheese, remove rind
s & p to taste

Start cooking linquini and see *** below

Mix oil, lemon juice, and herbs, and toss with chicken cubes. Do this at least 1/2 hour ahead - an hour would be better. Salt and pepper chicken here also. You will be doing this in the sauce but for the chicken to get a good flavor I always salt and pepper it before/while cooking.

Saute chicken cubes in a bit of oil and when almost done but not quite remove from skillet. Add a bit more oil if necessary and add minced garlic - be sure and get up any browned bits in the pan and mix with garlic and oil. Add tomatoes, and reduce until you have the sauce a consistency you like. Add chicken cubes in time for them to finish cooking. If you like a thicker sauce reduce liquid out slowly to concentrate flavors. That may take 15 to 20 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste and remainder of dried herbs.

***When linguini is almost done add your brie pieces to your simmering sauce. Let melt for a few minutes - make sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked.

broil salmon fillets with either an herb, dijon, or curry rub. 2 minutes before done, add slices of brie to the top and brown! wow, yum!

Robo410 said:
broil salmon fillets with either an herb, dijon, or curry rub. 2 minutes before done, add slices of brie to the top and brown! wow, yum!

I've got a 1/4lb salmon fillet I'm going to try this out on..if I like it I'll bust out a bigger fillet.

The only problem for me is that I don't have dijon...my feeling is that I'm going to make a curry, garlic, chive, and tomato mixture in my small food processor. Then pan-sear the salmon, and add the mixture before baking, then use the broiler for the brie!

I'll let you know how this turns ou, great suggestion...I hadn't even considered salmon and brie I kept thinking about chicken and darker meats.

I don't know how I feel about the brie on salmon. It seemed to lose its flavour under the broiler...the salmon was certainly tasty and the brie didn't detract from that, but it was most def. overpowered.

I guess I'll just stick to eating it plain or with bread and perhaps wine if I have the cash to afford a bottle (I got the brie as a gift, otherwise I wouldn't have it at at all..and certainly not in the quantity I have now).

Gosh - missed this thread! Here's one that's elegant and yummy.

ASPARAGUS AND BRIE TART

1 sheet frozen puff pastry

1/3 pound double-crème brie, rind removed and sliced thinly

1 ½ pounds thick asparatus, ends removed, blanched til crisp tender

1 T. olive oil

salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Roll puff pastry out on a floured surface to apx 16 x 10 rectangle. Lightly score 1 inch from the edges to mark a border. Piece dough inside the markings; bake until golden, about 15 minutes. You can use pie weights in the middle of the pastry to keep it from ‘puffing’. Use for the first 10 minutes, then remove for the last 5.

Remove from oven, and layer with brie slices. Trim asparagus to fit width wise inside the tart shell, alternating ends with tips. Brush with oil, season w/salt, pepper. Bake til spears are cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Sandwich. Open up a baguette, cut it to whatever size you feel like eating. Put in some salad leaves (cos lettuce works well) and then some long slices of brie across. Then sliced chicken breast, then half some red grapes and put those in. Thats you baguette.

i know there is something awesome i make with brie, but i cannot think of it at all.:blink: let me think about it and i'll post later.:LOL:

Why do anything to the Brie at all?

The only recipe I would suggest is good crusty bread and some red wine.
A guaranteed gourmet delight.

I know the Germans bread and deep-fry Camembert and serve it with jam, but this seems a fairly heathen thing to do.

It's like oysters: the very best way of all to enjoy them is on their own without any preparation at all.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Back
Top Bottom