"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Most European recipes for potato salad contain vinegar, which in of itself is a preservative. So that wouldn't surprise me. But the sausages, unless they are smoked, would give me cause to raise my eyebrows.
I don't remember exactly how this one was made. I do remember being surprised that it wasn't the "German" potato salad we're used to having here, with bacon and vinegar. That's a Bavarian dish and our student wasn't from that part of Germany.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have an insulated bag: for summer I add ice and refrigerated/frozen items go in the bag, my shopping trips can be hours long and several stores. In the winter I use the same bag, no ice and use it for things like greens etc. that cannot handle the cold. Works for me.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have an insulated bag: for summer I add ice and refrigerated/frozen items go in the bag, my shopping trips can be hours long and several stores. In the winter I use the same bag, no ice and use it for things like greens etc. that cannot handle the cold. Works for me.
I learned the hard way that potatoes can't take too much cold. When I lived in the country, we made a trip to the nearest town to do some grocery shopping. It was close to 20 km and half an hour away. We ran into friends and went for pizza. It was something like -30C. The next day, my potatoes were little bags of mush.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I learned the hard way that potatoes can't take too much cold. When I lived in the country, we made a trip to the nearest town to do some grocery shopping. It was close to 20 km and half an hour away. We ran into friends and went for pizza. It was something like -30C. The next day, my potatoes were little bags of mush.
I've hauled fresh herbs and lettuce home in the bag in the middle of winter, they make it home just fine. And this is after hours in the back of the car, when I'm shopping the sales.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's not just "cold." That's way below freezing. I took care of a friend's indoor plants over winter break in college once, bringing them from her dorm to my apartment. It was -20F. They died instantly from being exposed to that level of cold. Very cold temperatures change the chemical composition of foods, similarly to the way heat does.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I leave it out almost all the time (unless, as mentioned, it's too warm in the house), in a covered butter dish, and have never had a problem with it. I have found, though, that using a vegetable peeler to scrape thin slices of cold butter works well for spreading, especially if the food you are spreading it on is warm.
What a brilliant idea! Why has it never occurred to me. Thanks, GG.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I too have a butter bell and I love it. Would be lost without it. I change the water every day. Everyone should have one.
I hadn't heard of the Butter Bell until I read this thread. Sounds like a good idea.

I have a butter dish that has a glazed terracotta saucer with a domed lid made of terracotta, glazed only on the inside. You soak the lid in cold water and place your butter on the saucer with the lid on it. Keeps the butter fresh for ages as long as you keep the lid soaked. I suppose it works on the evaporation principal

I inherited it from an aunt so I don't know its age or where she got it from.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
What a brilliant idea! Why has it never occurred to me. Thanks, GG.
I use a cheese plane.

Tags
None