Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes...unless it's too warm and turns into melted butter. It also depends on how fast you eat it up, I wouldn't leave a stick of butter for longer than three days and make sure it is covered.

As long as it doesn't start smelling off or growing fuzzy little black spots, it's good. I leave butter out for considerably longer than 3 days and it is fine. If it goes bad, there won't be any doubt about it.

It will keep longer in a cooler environment - in India, I'd turn it into ghee if I wanted to leave it out in more than a day, LOL! (Due to rolling blackouts throughout the country, you can't count on AC there to help you out)

I leave it out almost all the time (unless, as mentioned, it's too warm in the house), in a covered butter dish, and have never had a problem with it. I have found, though, that using a vegetable peeler to scrape thin slices of cold butter works well for spreading, especially if the food you are spreading it on is warm.

From the time I was old enough to notice such things...i.e. a looong time ago, there was always butter in a dish on the kitchen table.

That must have saved you a lot of looking around when you wanted to butter something :LOL:

I keep butter in a covered dish in a cupboard above where the toater is located. Doesn't "match" with the rest of the cupboard's contents or for non toasting uses, otherwise it seems logical to me.

I said 3 days because I have never lived in Florida and don't know how fast butter would go over there, in their weather. There are very few days when my butter melts in the dish I leave out. Many times it's like I kept it in the fridge.

I said 3 days because I have never lived in Florida and don't know how fast butter would go over there, in their weather. There are very few days when my butter melts in the dish I leave out. Many times it's like I kept it in the fridge.[/QUOTE]

That's so true PF. In my old and very uninsulated house, the cupboards act as a buffer. When I open the doors in winter it seems like it's 20 degrees cooler. And probably that's why it's the reverse in summer, now that I think about it. I Have to keep the butter in the frig in the summer unless I want melted butter.

I've always kept butter out, even in my old house that wasn't air-conditioned. However, I do cheat and have used a butter bell/butter keeper to store butter for well over 20 years. I have always made sure to keep the water changed frequently and have NEVER had a problem with butter spoiling or molding. I would be lost if my butter bell ever got broken.

It's handy and holds a full stick of butter. I just let the stick of butter sit out on the counter until it's barely soft, peel the wrapper off, stand the stick in the "bell" and smoosh it down with the palm of my hand using the wrapper to keep from getting butter on my hand. This way I am certain I've pushed the butter securely into it's space and it doesn't slip out. It never has, but I suppose that's a possibility.

I too have a butter bell and I love it. Would be lost without it. I change the water every day. Everyone should have one. :angel:

Last edited:
I have a butter bell, Shrek hates it. I guess I have to wait to use it when he no longer can care about it.

At our house, the "in-use" cube of butter is usually on the counter in a covered dish. In the rare event that it went bad, no big deal, out it went. I can't even remember the last time that happened.
Adding: In a bell or in a butter dish, it seems to all be the same here. It might be the granite counter tops since the feel cool all the them.

Last edited:
We always have butter in a dish, not in the fridge. Once in a blue moon, if we haven't been using much butter, the outside will oxidize and turn darker yellow. I just scrape that off.

I keep butter in a covered dish in a cupboard above where the toater is located. Doesn't "match" with the rest of the cupboard's contents or for non toasting uses, otherwise it seems logical to me.

+1......same here Whisk....in the cupboard above the toaster an it is logical ;)

I've always kept butter out, even in my old house that wasn't air-conditioned. However, I do cheat and have used a butter bell/butter keeper to store butter for well over 20 years.....
Looove my butter bell, even though I haven't had it 20 years. Maybe 6-7 (?) when I first found out about them. Mine is smaller, maybe almost 1/2 stick worth. We use it just for spreading so I would rather put fresh in more frequently than be able to keep a lot in there.

I love my butter bell, it is small--perfect for one person. My friend from Poland is appalled that in NA people keep butter out--it is a dairy product. I take butter out when I know I need it to soften it, otherwise, it is in the fridge. Since I no longer eat bread, I don't need "soft" butter for spreading.

I love my butter bell, it is small--perfect for one person. My friend from Poland is appalled that in NA people keep butter out--it is a dairy product. I take butter out when I know I need it to soften it, otherwise, it is in the fridge. Since I no longer eat bread, I don't need "soft" butter for spreading.
We didn't leave the butter out when we were doing Atkins (low carb) and weren't eating bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom