"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Well I don't think you got a great deal, but you probably did not get ripped off either.

Here are some online places for the parm reg to give you an idea of price.
GB, I checked out the site, and the second item on the list is the one I bought. I noticed the first item, 2.5 oz of Parmigiano Reggiano was $50.

I think I did OK price-wise. Let's hope the stuff arrives in good shape.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Constance what I am wondering about are the shipping costs. That is where the cost might come into play.

I have heard good things from people who have bought food on eBay. I hope your experience is as good!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Executive Chef

As a buyer and seller on ebay, I can say that figuring shipping costs is difficult. But I have sold some large items and have lost a lot of money by charging too little for shipping. Like the time I sold a six foot snow sled, or even a good working printer. But if someone is selling the same item, you will quickly learn what your shipping costs are. Do you charge for shipping supplies or the cost of gas to the PO?? The ten dollar charge for the cheese does not seem out of line. My guess it will cost them at least 8.00 for actual shipping costs, plus cost of material, time and transport.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
Master Chef

I thought the $10 shipping charge was pretty decent. The closest place I might be able to find this cheese around here is about 40 miles away, and by the time we pay for gas and eat lunch, the trip would cost considerably more than that.
I just hope it's not melted when I get it.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

Formaggio Kitchen is one of the best cheese purveyors in the country.

They ship now. But the are pricey.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Head Chef

We have just gone over 500 purchases on eBay (we have family members who are collectors, and do a bit of collecting ourselves, even purchased a specific older model computer there that I needed to have at home for work, seems the software would not run on a modern model). And have only been burned once, but it was a cheap food item.

Tried eBay food a couple of times a few years ago, mostly spices and a few other items, and was not impressed. But have not done so recently.

Imagine if you see how many items the seller has sold (first thing we always look at, too few you are gambling in my humble opinion), and the feedback rating (if not excellent look at the individual comments), you are probably fine.

Buy a fair amount of food items on the web, primarily for gifts, but generally just go to well known commercial sources.

Have to go back and put in food and see what is there.

Good luck Constance and let us know how it works out.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
Head Chef

I've bought parm-reg on ebay before. I got a 3 lb wedge for $30 - my only problem was it took 7 days to get to me and they did not refrigerate or pack it in any type of cooling material. Plus it sat on my porch for an entire day in 90 degree weather until I got home.
I was going to throw it out but I refrigerated it and I used it all up. Note - the parm was not as good as what I've ordered from other online retailers (Dean & Delucla, igourmet, etc).
Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #18
Master Chef

I got my cheeses and sausage today. Inside the cardboard box was a little styrofoam cooler box and a cold pack, which was still cold when we opened the package. We haven't tasted the cheeses yet, but they smell wonderful. We did try the sausage, and it is fantastic...very rich and full of garlic.
We won't have to worry about vampires tonight.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Constance - thanks for the follow-up. I've been wondering how you made out with your purchase!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

That sounds like a huge success so far. How great that it was packaged that way. Sounds like you are dealing with someone who takes pride in their product. Way to go Constance!

Tags
None