Can I store egg yolks or whites by themselves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSoups

Assistant Cook
There are some recipes I want to try that call for just egg yolks or just egg whites. Can I store either of those parts rather than just dump them? How long would they keep outside the shell?

Yes, you can keep them separate. Many times I've made a recipe calling for just whites, and kept yolks in the fridge to add to omelets and what not.

I would just use them within a few days.

If you find you're not going to be able to use the separated raw egg within a few days, you can cook the yolks or whites as you would a scrambled egg, and sprinkle it on a green salad, in a potato salad, or a mix-in with canned tuna for a sandwich...

Last edited:
I rely on a storage chart (gleaned info) since I have lost my sense of smell.

Half an egg, i.e. with half egg yolk and half egg white - 2 days in fridge.

Egg white - 1 week in fridge - 3 months in freezer

Egg yolk (in some water) 3-4 days

That's good to know. I wanted to make a custard once that called for 9 egg yolks and I had no idea what I was going to do with 9 egg whites. Actually, I still don't. Especially since the only eggs I like are scrambled.

rr, I suppose you could freeze the whites in 2-egg portions, then use one of those containers with one whole egg to scramble. A little yolk goes along way if you beat the daylights out of it!

Freeze the whites. Use an ice cube tray, freeze each egg white separately, then pop out and put in a ziplock. Then they're available for whatever you want later.

I met a guy last year who won a bread contest by making challah bread, which requires a lot of yolks. He uses the whites to make angel-food cake.

Making a pavlova is another way of using up eggwhites...if you can stand all that sugar! :ermm:

I do the same as Dawgluver or keep in small plastic containers if i have 2 or 3. Always mark up how many in the box. I guarantee that you will never remember!. When defrosted at room temp I have often made meringues, souffle mix or mousse with no problems.

I've kept open eggs, a large quantity in refrigerator for almost two weeks, more than once. Not separate whites and yolks.

Macaroons, meringues e.g. for Eton Mess, bread glaze, frosting for a cake...

Make a lemon meringue pie.... mmmmm :yum:

I like lemon pie as long as it's tart, but I really don't like the meringue. I'm not all that crazy about sweet stuff. I'm more of a potato chip type of person than a candy bar type.

So I guess I could freeze the whites and save them - maybe give them to someone else. I just hate wasting food, is all.

We had a local restaurant years ago that used many, many egg yolks to make Lobster Newburg. The egg whites were used to make cakes, basic white cake, angel food, chiffon etc...

If you have a couple of extra yolks you can usually get away with sneaking them into a recipe in place of one egg, the extra fat in the yolk will give you a richer product.

Back
Top Bottom