"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Lulu - I looked on the Rodda's cornish clotted cream site re freezing, and they don't say yea or nay. BUT on this Devon site (your home turf) it would appear that although they do not recommend customers to freeze their own CC - they do sell a type of flash frozen CC.

http://www.langagefarm.com/docs/clottedcream.htm

Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thank you dear Ishbel.....goodness knows what I was googling to try and find this out. Ok, well, it would have made life easier....its to take in a cool box to Italy to freeze, to taking a flash frozen product is a no go for me, I wanted to freeze it for a while until I was settled. DH's boss has ordered "english scone day" and I don't fancy producing 120 scones on my first Monday back, but seems like I'll have too if they are to have clotted cream, lol. Thanks again

Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

If you bought the frozen stuff, AND you made the scones on your first day - it would have thawed nicely in the freezer bag on that long journey! Are you driving alone?

I remember a few years ago we chose to take the car to Tuscany. It was a fairly fraught drive (various things went wrong) - but it was my husband's natural greed to have more space to bring stuff back than if we'd flown. We have not repeated the experience!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #14
Head Chef

Yes, driving alone with two yowling cats in my English car, I foresee a frought journey, I think it will be a sixteen hour drive.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I'll be thinking of you... Frequent stops, that's the answer. How on EARTH are you going to deal with the cats for that length of time? Have you been to the vets for sedatives (For them, not you!)
Old 12-19-2006, 05:08 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I was taught to whip the cream before freezing it otherwise it separates and the result isn't successful, and I haven't ever had any problems with it. Whenever we have apple pie or some other hot dessert I simply scoop out whatever I need.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 AM   #17
Sous Chef

What Benni said. You can also freeze dollops of whipped cream on parchment or such and freeze--then just lift off what you want.

Tags
None