"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Through the years I have used maybe 5 different mozz recipes, none I was happy with. The following is the one I *looked* at when making mozz cheese this week. It turned out the best of any I have tried. Who knows why.

Mozzarella cheese

Warm milk to 90F,
add 1 tsp citric acid per gallon of milk and
1/4 t. lipase
2 oz of Thermophilic culture for each gallon of milk. Stir well.

Add 1/4 tsp rennet to 1/8 cup cool water for each gallon of milk.

Add to the milk and stir for 1 minute.

Let set for 45 minutes or until the curd gives a clean break.

Cut the curds into 1/2" cubes and allow to set for 15 minutes.

Drain the curds into a cheese cloth-lined colander.

Hang cheesecloth for 1 hour to drain or until it stops dripping.

Put the bag in the colander and the colander in the pot with a cover and put in the refrigerator for 24 hours. (this is the developing acidity step that makes the cheese stretch better)

Heat a bowl of water to 170F, take the curds from the cheesecloth and slice in 1" slices. Put the slices in the hot water and allow to melt, using two SS spoons work the curds by pressing them together, knead them in this way until they loose shape. The curds should stretch out when you hold them up under their own weight, stretch them until they become bright and shiny and stretch easily. Make a ball out of the curds and put them in a bowl of ice water to cool. Place in a brine solution for 1 hour or to taste."

I used yogurt for the Thermophilic culture and used 2 gallons of whole milk.

The line in bold was to alert this is not a timing thing, but waiting until a clean break will occur.

Good luck!

I also added about 1/4 teaspoon lipase to develop some flavor. The lipase is added with the citric acid. For some reason the lipase needs to be added before the rennet. (I'll add the lipase to the recipe)

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
You should be able to by the curd all ready, then all you do is work them in the hot water bath, pull them, form them, and hang em. Need to have some hot hands, or work your hands between the cheese pot, and an ice bath, it DOES got hot pulling curd.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
... it DOES got hot pulling curd.
I don't exactly know why that sounds so naughty

PS I've been awfully ornery this past day or so and I apologize for that! But we all have our days, this must be mine!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I haven't made it yet but I read up on it a while back. One really important factor for the Mozzarella is that it will NOT work with pasteurized milk They reccomend using dried milk and maybe some cream added to it as the dried is not pasteurized just dried. They say it's really good. I'm thinking it will also be cheaper to make with the dried milk
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Bummer - At the moment, I do not know of a source for fresh milk that is not pasturized.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Bummer - At the moment, I do not know of a source for fresh milk that is not pasteurized.
I am about 100% certain that you can use pasteurized milk. What you can not use is Ultra-Pasteurized milk.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I haven't made it yet but I read up on it a while back. One really important factor for the Mozzarella is that it will NOT work with pasteurized milk They reccomend using dried milk and maybe some cream added to it as the dried is not pasteurized just dried. They say it's really good. I'm thinking it will also be cheaper to make with the dried milk
I never heard of that. While it does taste better made with minimally processed milk, I know lots of folks who have made it with just the regular milk they buy at the supermarket.

What I personally would be more concerned with is that there be no bovine growth hormone in the milk.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Here's a site from a professor at the University of Cinncinati that I use for all my cheese making techniques.
The "Farmer's Cheese" is one of my favorites.
Fankhauser's Cheese Page

In fact, on the American Mozz, he specifically says he used homogonized cow milk.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
What I personally would be more concerned with is that there be no bovine growth hormone in the milk.
Jeeze, not again.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
citric acid
lipase
Thermophilic culture
rennet
Thanks so much I think it would be fun to try anyway!
Can you get these things at the store or do you need to order them online somewhere?

Tags
None