Buon Giorno Skittles, Good Morning,
Yesterday evening, while sitting on our terrace, my husband and I were going through my Nonna ( paternal Grandmother ) Margherite´s hand written Italian notebooks, where she wrote all her recipes, food and kitchen notes from her Trattoria ...
I have never made Mascarpone, however, my Nonna combined 3 different cheeses for her cheesecake, and here is her recipe:
Nonna Margherite´s Trattoria Cheesecake
8 ounces whole Cream Cheese ( Philadelphia works best for this is her note)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs lightly beaten
3 tblsps. corn starch
1 1/2 tablesp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened butter at room temperature
1/2 pint Mascarpone and 1/2 pint sweetened whipped Ricotta and drain both thoroughly
Topping: fresh blueberries, pineapple, peaches, strawberries, black berries or rasberries
1. preheat oven 325 degrees farenheit
2. grease a 9" spring form baking pan
3. large bowl: with an electric mixer, combine at high speed the following: cream cheese, ricotta and mascarpone until thoroughly mixed and slowly add the sugar and beat briskly. Then add the eggs until thoroughly mixed.
4. at low speed, beat in flour, lemon juice, vanilla and corn starch.
5. add melted butter and beat until smooth yet thick ( you do not want a liquid-y texture )
6. pour into prepared pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until firm
7. when ready, turn off oven and let cake cool in the oven for 2 hours
8. remove cake and refrigerate until well chilled for 4 to 6 hours
9. serve with fresh fruit on top of choice and whipped cream if you wish
10. Enjoy with an Espresso on Ice or Cappucchino and a Cordial of choice
*** Skittles: I had just found this notebook, and thus, translated the recipe to post here ... I have so many notebooks of Nonna, and uncountable recipes, that I just have not had the time to try this one, however, I am planning to try it too ...