Cheese & Crackers - Your Personal Favorites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys! I love a good thin sliced deli meat / cheese / cracker combo. I have to ask, what are some great ones? I don't know all the different types of cheeses, and at my grocery, there is a whole cooler thing with all these imported cheeses that im not familiar with. Also, what are some great crackers for this? I'm using Triscuit Originals or Saltines..

This is what im snacking on currently....

thin sliced boars head hard salami

boars head shaved turkey breast salsalito

aged white cheddar

muenster cheese

So, let's hear it. What are the best cheeses for crackers?

Oh forgot to say, but i found one of those random cheeses in the grocery, and tried it out because it sounded good. It was german, called Butterkase cheese, and was really great on crackers.

It totally depends on the meat and the cheese. If it's a really buttery cheese and a salty meat, then I'm like Zereh and plain old water crackers are just fine for me. Otherwise, Ritz, or Keebler "Club" because they are buttery flavored. Sometimes, plain old saltines - for peanut butter.

I love cheeses - and could make a meal from cheese and biscuits: brie and camembert and port salut, as well as Wensleydale, Lancashire and Caerphilly (all white, crumbly cheeses). Derbyshire, Sage Derbyshire, Danish Blue, Devon Blue and Shropshire Blue as well as good old Stilton! Stinking Bishop and Isle of Mull Cheddar are also great. Oh and Davidstow Cheddar which is one of the few cheeses that really DOES come from the Cheddar Gorge area of England!

The UK has so many wonderful cheeses, we are very lucky. I know that many of them are available on the net nowadays.

I usually serve my home made oatcakes, together with a selection of English-style biscuits for cheese, especially the bran ones and digestives.

I don't like plain crackers. I like the ones with sesame seeds and dill seeds. As an FYI for those who have SAMS membership, they have the best assortment of crackers that can be served with a cheese and meat tray.

For cheeses I sometimes try and stir up a cheese spread using cream cheese and a little sour cream with roasted garlic and herbs I desire. In addition I like Gouda, Smoked Cheddar, Swiss, Pepperjack, Montrey Jack, Camambert and Brie.

For meats I don't eat pork but I like smoked chicken, turkey or honey roasted turkey and also hearty slices of roast beef. I sometimes try and make little meatballs and chicken kabobs and serve them on toothpicks to make the platter more interesting.

irish cheddar on wheatsworth stoned :cool: ground wheat crackers, with chopped raw onion, and a dollop of spicy brown mustard.

baked brie in a crust of almonds, with raspberry sauce, and table water crackers.

jarlsberg swiss, with very thin slices of chorizo, on wasa crispbreads. (talk about an international mix)

oh, i forgot gouda, with thin slices of pears and apples, on garlic rubbed crostini.

Last edited:
I'm heavily into both Stoned Wheat thins and regular Wheat thins. The Stoned Wheat thins work really well for roasted garlic and brie. I could eat cheese and crackers all day. Mmmm. I like to add some green apple to the tray too, especially with old cheddar.

Ritz crackers with cream cheese and red pepper jelly.

Just plain water crackers with a nice runny cheese, like a double brie (its like brie...except double the fun! and fat).

Or a creamy gorgonzola with water crackers or crusty bread. Or a more potent blue with dried figs/dates.

Two favorites are an aged Stilton drizzled with honey on a plain table water cracker and a triple cream brie with mushed up very fresh cantelope on a Starr Ridge Rosemary and Olive Oil cracker.

Oh, I could go on but those two are wonderful. 4-year aged Gouda and a cave-ripened Emmentaler are two more favs.

I hope you guys forgive me when I say my favorite cracker in the world is swiss cheese cheezeits.

I could eat a whole box at one sitting.

For this one, I'm thinking a good Fontina on a Rits, or Townhouse cracker.

Throw some pepperoni into the mix & I'll be changing that cheese from Fontina to Asiago, or a sharp Swiss.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Any sasame cracker or a Townehouse and dig into a block of softened cream cheese slathered with a bottle of Picapeppa sauce :rolleyes: Also Fontina on triscuit...

kadesma

I like a lot of what Ishbel likes but I am also a fiend for nice aged gouda and aged Vella jack. Aged asiago, grada padano, pecorino, gout gouda are nice too. And gruyere is an all-time favorite. But also love anything blue and most things smelly.

Prefer to eat them on a good baguette or hard italian crackers.

Good cheese is my favorite thing in the whole world.

But give me a chicken in the biscuit anyday, too!

choclatechef said:
I hope you guys forgive me when I say my favorite cracker in the world is swiss cheese cheezeits.

I could eat a whole box at one sitting.

OMG - I have forgotten about those chocolatechef - I can eat a whole box of those too - and you get the cheese AND cracker in one!!! LOL No knife involved! :mrgreen:

I think it's a law that once a Cheezits box is opened, the opener must consume the entire contents of the box - preferably in one sitting. This affects all flavors of Cheezits. They are manufactured by Satan.

Back
Top Bottom