"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Cheese Discussion Thread

I live in the new jersey/philladelphia region. There are some fine cheeses here.

Personally, I enjoy Yancy's 9 month aged white cheddar,
Yancy's Buffalo Wing (cheddar,Hotsauce, habanaro)
and the Muenster cheese is good too.

I'm a cheddar lover really, but Im trying to try other cheeses. What I really enjoy is sharp pungent cheeses, but not so much Bleu/veined cheese unless its on a salad or cooked onto a sandwhich...

What do you guys(n gals) recommend/like and why?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hiya Mikey. Have no knowledge of the Yancy's brand.

I like cheddar and some of the sharp ones, but there's something nice about the mellower Havartis and Jarlsburg Swiss cheeses of the world. Not everything needs a bite to it.

p.s. can't stand blue cheese in any form

Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

I love aged cheeses, like aged gouda, for example, or aged gruyere. Some of the moisture has left it, giving the cheese a drier texture and a more concentrated, stronger flavor. The best with red wine, IMO.

On the other hand, if you like pungent (some call it "stinky"), cheese, you might try Limburger. It is a very soft cheese, but, boy, it's strong!

Lee
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey
I live in the new jersey/philladelphia region. There are some fine cheeses here.
Besides cream cheese?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

OMG!What about the cheese's from all over the world like Manchago(spain) and the French cheeses and and, and,I just had the real feta cheese from Bulgaria made with sheep milk.OMG!It was so good much more tangy and tasty than the Feta we get here.
You need to check out.Cheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet
About 2 times a year I make an order from them including swiss raclette.They also really explain all the cheeses they offer from all over the world with recipes.Oh Yea!By the way I love , love,love cheese any kind any where but melted is the ultimate.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm a big cheese fan... gots to subscribe to this thread!!! I like any and all cheeses and love trying new ones!!!! Cheese is like fine wine... there is one for any occasion!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

I love aged cheddars, but haven't found my absolute favorite yet. I love 3 to 5 year aged Balderson Heritage Cheddars, but recently tried Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It isn't as dry, and so is a younger cheese (not shown on the label, and has a very well ballanced flavor, no quite as salty as the Balderson cheese. Both are very good cheeses. I also recently tried Kaseberg brand Butterkase cheese. It is similar in texture and flavor to a good Havarti, but with a bit more robust flavor. I was quite pleased with it. I love a good Havarti for its rich, almost buttery flavor. It's a favorite as well. I like Manchego, but it's a bit mild for my tastes. A good American Colby is hard to beat. And in this case, I'll go with the Kraft brand. I love a great Swiss cheese, but find it difficult to locate a really well flavored brand around my part of the country. Gouda, Ementeller, Monterey Jack, Provolone, and Mozzarella all fall into the pretty tasty, but not great for snackin'. They are better with something like crackers, or on a sandwich. I love a good Asiago, Romano, or Parmesano with pasta, or grated onto a salad. I will occasionally slice paper-thin slices to much on as well. Farmers Cheese is pretty tasty for just snacking too. I'm also fond of large curd cottage cheese and prefer 4% milkfat as the lighter fat varieties can sometimes carry a bitter flavor componant. Muenster is an all time favorite as well. So, I guess if I had to pin down my favorites, this is the list I'd make, in order:
1. 5 year aged Balderson Heritage Cheddar
2. Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar
3. Havarti
4. Butterkase
5. Gruyere
6. Parmesano Regiano
7. Asiago
8. Pecorino Romano
9. Colby
10. Well aged, full-flavored Swiss
11. Ementellar
12. Cottage Cheese

There are so many other cheeses that I use and enjoy, but the above listed cheeses are standouts for me. I even use Velveeta.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
the Mexicana cheese by Ilchester is one of my all time faves.
British Cheese Board
about half way down the page.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:12 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Someone recommended I try Roquefort, but the local cheeser (deli man) said its similar to bleu, which i wouldnt eat alone.

Thanks for all your fine input/perspectives, this page is getting bookmarked!

Muenster is delightfully buttery and soft. Preferable Wisonsin Muenster. The brand I last had was Valley Forge, it was good.

As long as kept well, the older the cheddar the better :)

Smoked CHeeses with Bacon are illustrious. I always loved the cheesey smoked bacon taste. Smoked cheeses in general I just love.

With wine, I like smooth cheeses, like the Muenster, Colby is surprising with wine, and so are the many "fine" dessert cheeses which Im just getting into.

Behold the power.

I also have a love for good cheese spreads or pub cheese. In the Michigan/Ohio region you can find the best cheese spread ive ever had "Winshulers" I believe. Out here in Philly, Sharp Cheddar Pub CHeese is the best stuff I can find. The Yancys Buffalo wing cheese is similar in this respect.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I love red leister! I also like really aged strong mature cheddar. And for some things I like mozzerella. Ive not tried many other cheeses. Ive tried parmesan but dont like it muchhh

Tags
None