Cheese experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
This is hardly worth starting a thread for. Just a question, for which it’s not likely that there’s more than one answer:

Sommelier is to wine as _________ is to cheese. Fill in the blank for me?

affineur -- but I'm not fond of this one because it is specifically about the aging of the cheese within a certain environment, over a period of days or years, and not about making the cheese.

fromager -- not very specific, but it is a person that knows about cheese

Maitre Fromager -- meaning Master of cheese
Cheese Wiz -- someone that knows about cheese (ha ha)
Cheese Head -- someone from Wisconsin or has cheese on the mind

I'm sure there's more!

I guess I’ll have to go with fromager; affineur sounds more like someone who just loves cheese, your definition of it also makes me think that it’s not the cheese version of sommelier. And Maitre fromager sounds just a bit too grand, to the point of being pretentious.

affineur -- but I'm not fond of this one because it is specifically about the aging of the cheese within a certain environment, over a period of days or years, and not about making the cheese.

fromager -- not very specific, but it is a person that knows about cheese

Maitre Fromager -- meaning Master of cheese
Cheese Wiz -- someone that knows about cheese (ha ha)
Cheese Head -- someone from Wisconsin or has cheese on the mind

I'm sure there's more!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

CD

The people who sell cheese are CHEESEMONGERS in the US

This guy is the tops and his book is informative and fabulous

https://www.amazon.com/Cheese-Primer-Steven-Jenkins/dp/0894807625
As it is in GB - there's even a World Cheese Awards cheesemonger of the year competition.

It's a lovely old word, we still have fishmongers, ironmongers and a few costermongers (who sell fruit and veg -and nowadays mostly work in the wholesale markets such as Covent Garden now. "Coster" or "Costard" was an old name for a variety of apple).

(Sorry, you can take the woman out of teaching but you can't take teaching out of the woman, as a "beau" of my younger days used to say!)

47683708_2413094472038832_3617837943411965952_n.jpg

I have no idea how expert these guys are, but for what it's worth, my local supermarket had this in their flyer the other day (trying to avoid brand names here):

Reds pair with Parmesan.

Chadonnay pairs with something called Comte cheese. Your guess is as good as mine.

Merlot pairs with blue cheese.

Riesling pairs with Gold Cheese. ?

Prosecca pairs with Mozzarella.

Rose pairs with Brie.

And since I know as much about wine as I do about cheese, I have no idea if any of those wines could be called a Sommelier.

Good luck!

As it is in GB - there's even a World Cheese Awards cheesemonger of the year competition.

It's a lovely old word, we still have fishmongers, ironmongers and a few costermongers (who sell fruit and veg -and nowadays mostly work in the wholesale markets such as Covent Garden now. "Coster" or "Costard" was an old name for a variety of apple).

(Sorry, you can take the woman out of teaching but you can't take teaching out of the woman, as a "beau" of my younger days used to say!)
Do Brits use the term "green grocer" for someone who sells fruit and veg? It's sometimes used here in Montreal. I imagine some younger people just think it's an environmentally friendly grocer.

Back
Top Bottom