"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I find the Boursin that I buy to be creamy, but slightly crumbly. That doesn't happen when I make it with my homemade quark.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I find the Boursin that I buy to be creamy, but slightly crumbly. That doesn't happen when I make it with my homemade quark.

Ways to get it more crumbly (usually we don't want most cheeses to be crumbly).
1. let it ferment for longer, this increases the acid and higher acid cheeses are crumblier=tang.
2. use less cream/fat, or a lower fat milk when making quark. Cream/fat will make a creamier product=richness.
3 drain it longer to get it drier, less moisture but it won't in general lower the fat content.

If the quark you make could use more 'tang', then try #1. #3 will also add time for the culture to make more acid, making it tangier too. Also, you can ferment it and hang it at a higher temperature and it will produce more acid. (my room temp is now 67 deg F, so it acidifies slowly. On a hot day, say 90 deg F, it would acidify more quickly.)

You can go by your taste buds and texture to figure it out. Do you want it tangier? Do you want it richer or less rich? Does it need to dry more?

Cream Cheese--this last batch.
I fermented it for 18 hours starting at 87 deg F and then it cooled to room temp 67 deg F for the rest of the time. Then I drained it for a full 24 hours. It was thick, held its own shape, creamy, tangy. (remember there was a lot of cream in that recipe--so it will be rich and creamy) It made a little over 7 lbs of cream cheese. I'm really impressed with it.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Correction:
That should have said 2 quarts of cream, not one quart. In the original recipe.

Well, since it is 7 lbs of cheese, I decided to make about 3 lbs into a cheese spread like the boursin you mentioned. We have some friends that would like that.

Since it is really rich I'm not adding butter.
3 lbs of cream cheese
6 cloves of garlic minced
9 T. parmesan
1 T. dried dill weed
1 and 1/2 t. dried basil
1 and 1/2 t. chives
1 and 1/2 t. ground black pepper
3/4 t. dried ground thyme
3 T. dried parsley

I purposely under-salted the original cheese so I'll salt it to taste (2 teaspoons). Mix it all up in the food processor and then put in air tight containers leaving no air space. That will help it last longer.

The taste is good. The garlic is a little hot right now but it will tame in 24 hours. I'll be sharing it with DH's metal detecting friends that he will be hunting with tomorrow and the next day.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds yummy. I have never added Parm to my boursinoid. I will give that a try.

I hope your garlic mellows. When we make green goddess salad dressing, it tends to get stronger with age. Or maybe it's the anchovies that do. It's potent, but oh my goodness yummy.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds yummy. I have never added Parm to my boursinoid. I will give that a try.

I hope your garlic mellows. When we make green goddess salad dressing, it tends to get stronger with age. Or maybe it's the anchovies that do. It's potent, but oh my goodness yummy.

Garlic tends to get cooler from hot, it is hot when it is minced. I love green goddess dressing too!

You know this is ALL YOUR FAULT! Thank you.

Tomorrow I'll start a batch of camemberts. A two gallon batch will make 4 of the 4 and 1/2 inch camemberts. DH built me a shelf for inside my ripening box, so after I make the first batch, I can make another and get 8 of them going at one time. That saves me room in the cheese refrigerator. YAY, thanks DH.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Garlic tends to get cooler from hot, it is hot when it is minced. I love green goddess dressing too!

You know this is ALL YOUR FAULT! Thank you.

Tomorrow I'll start a batch of camemberts. A two gallon batch will make 4 of the 4 and 1/2 inch camemberts. DH built me a shelf for inside my ripening box, so after I make the first batch, I can make another and get 8 of them going at one time. That saves me room in the cheese refrigerator. YAY, thanks DH.

I hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

DH's friends loved the cream cheese spread, boursin like.

Two days ago I started the first Camemberts 4 - 4+ inch molds, then today I made another batch of 4 more small molds. It was an easy recipe, a complilation of a few different ones that I read. Both sets will be making white mold in the cheese cave tomorrow or the next day. Fun!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Camembert. I love Brie too. Is Brie a different mould?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Yes, from what I understand, they are essentially the same recipe, the brie is put in larger rounds, maybe 6-10 inches across, the camemberts are little 4-6 inches, both types are less than 2 inches thick, more like 1 inch thick.

The larger types take longer to age. The age when they start to soften and get runny is after the first month and they should be stored in the regular refrigerator during that time. So you when you buy it you just age it in your reg. fridge.

You can often find brie available in wedges cut from the large rounds. You can find camemberts often in little wooden boxes that you can bake them in. But recently I saw both brie and camemberts in small rounds in boxes, so they are kind of interchangable. I compared the ingredient lists on the sides of the packaging for both kinds and they were the same too.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

We usually buy Brie, because my husband doesn't like mushrooms and he thinks the Camembert has a bit of mushroomy flavour.

Tags
cheese, other