"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cheese making 2018

Since the Camembert I made in May, I haven't made anymore camembert but I hope to make a few batches before Christmas, since it doesn't take too long and it is so delicious.

Then I made some cream cheese but over cooked it. It became grainy and wouldn't melt. I'll have to try again.

White and Orange cheddar curds.

A batch of meso and thermo cultures, 4 quarts of each for cheese making.

Then I made provolone that was gorgeous.

A rat trap like cheese, like a colby. Then my best provolone batch that stretched beautifully.

I started using skim or 1% P&H milk with heavy whipping cream P& no H, instead of whole milk, as it makes a better curd, no fracturing. The only bad thing is the mixed gallon of milk makes just less than a pound of cheese instead of a little over a pound of cheese when using whole milk. A couple ounce difference but the cheese is smoother and more bendable and meltier.

Colby again.
Colby again, but that one got contaminated (and was pictured on the food safety roulette thread).
Cheddar Curds, white and then orange.
Gorgonzola which ought to be ready by Christmas.
Another double batch of white and orange cheddar curds for a birthday present for a friend.

As of the last batch listed here, that was my 100th batch of cheese! Woo hoo. I've been learning about it for 2 years and I still find it to be fun and meditative.

This is camembert sliced.

The is the colby like rat trap cheese.

This is the spectacular failure of contaminated early blowing colby. Which I had to throw out because I didn't want to take a chance on anyone getting sick.

So, that's my update for now. I'm really impressed with all my long aging parmesans, cheddars, swisses, that I take out of the cheese cave in 1 lb packages for us to eat after they are a year or more old.

I made minestrone soup the other day with separate macaroni and hamburger for the guys, and DH melted some shredded parmesan over it and it melted like a dream, just beautiful. He had to show me his bowl! He is so spoiled!

Now you know.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

That Camembert looks great! Wish I had the time..good for you!

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
That Camembert looks great! Wish I had the time..good for you!

I hear you, it does take a lot lot lot of time. I'm unexpectedly retired as long as I can still get health insurance w/gov't subsidies. Then if that changes I'll work for a few more years. Health insurance is really the only thing we need and we live frugally on a lower income level. The cheese is a good investment for us because whatever I'm making now, if it can be aged, can be used for a few years to keep food costs down. No one here complains of a very long aged cheddar or parmesan!

I liked the camembert too. We'd never had it before but it is good and creamy and melts beautifully. We tried it spread on toast and then once wrapped it in pastry and baked it, ate it with dates. Yum.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow, bliss, true craftsmanship!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Executive Chef

thanks Dawg and Rock.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yay Bliss!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Thanks Taxy.

My list for Oct-Nov.
Camembert that will be ready in 8 weeks, spaced out a month, so one batch in Oct and another the beginning of Nov.
Cream Cheese-because we use this in cheese cake, cheese balls for the holidays, and cheese spread for whatever.
Provolone for pizza making.
Cheddar curds we give away to relatives when traveling.
Probably a try at Buttercase and Havarti again, to see if I can improve on methods.

Cheddar, parm, romano, swisses, in the next year.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I started some cream cheese, a 2.5 gallon batch, a mix of whole milk and heavy whipping cream, yesterday.
It needed to sit and grow culture and coagulate for 18 hours. This morning I put it into a tea cloth in a colander to drain.

2 gallons of whole P&H milk
1 quarts of heavy whipping cream
1/2 + tsp of Calcium Chloride solution
1/8th tsp of mesophilic culture (dry)
4 drops of triple rennet in distilled water

I just checked it, it is beautiful stuff. I'm going to let it continue draining until tomorrow morning, so 24 hours, then salt it lightly, refrigerate it, and package it to store it. It is thick and creamy, no hint of graininess, tangy, beautiful.

We love this stuff in icing on carrot cake, cheese cake, cheese balls and spreads. I'm sure it will get us through the holidays and into January.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Cream cheese reminded me of making fake Boursin. I have made "Boursinoid" using quark. It's not quite the same texture as real Boursin, but it sure is tasty. Cream also wouldn't give quite the same texture as real Boursin. I'm wondering if you have ever played with that. Do you know how one would make the cheese part of Boursin? I have googled, but all the recipes call for cream cheese, quark, yogourt cheese, or skyr.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Taxy, I haven't played around with all those different cheeses. I can tell you what they are by definition, in cheese making.

These are all cow's milk soft cheeses. If you use goat's milk they have different names. I don't use goat's milk so I don't know much about them.

Cream cheese, a mixture of milk/cream, inoculated with a meso type culture (low temp culture), small amount of rennet (optional), 12-24 hours to form curd, drained, salted (optional), refrigerated.

Quark, whole milk, inoculated with buttermilk (also a low temp meso type culture), left to form curd, drained, refrigerated. If you add cream in the beginning then it is called Sahnequark, and if you use low fat milk instead then it is called Magerquark (german).

Yogurt cheese, whole milk, inoculated with yogurt (a higher temperature thermo type culture), left to form curd, drained, salted (optional), refrigerated.

Boursin, is a rich cream cheese with added herbs/spices/salt/butter. So they might add dill, italian parsley, parmesan cheese, chives, black pepper, basil, garlic, and even salmon.

If you want something smooth for boursin, you'd use more cream/fat. A cream cheese base without added cream (only using milk) may be more grainy.

Flavored, herbed, creamy fresh cheese like boursin can be made with all of these fresh cheeses. Some will have a more or less tart flavor. Some will be richer and some lower fat.

I'm pretty sure I'd really like a boursin type of cheese with dill and chives, for say, on a bagel. You can also sweeten cream cheese with sugar/honey and fresh fruit. None of these have a long shelf life.

Tags
cheese, other