"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Senior Cook
You're in michigan, right? Meijer has a decent selection of quality cheeses. It's not with the kraft blocks of cheese by packages of shredded cheese and whathaveyou. It's usually nearer to the produce section, in an open cooler.

apple*tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Master Chef
Actually, the original poster is located in Florida according to the location listed in his profile.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Head Chef
I'd skip the exploding Turkish varieties.....

Our local Whole Foods has a stunning cheese counter. They won't
let me walk by any more because I drool too much.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Actually, the original poster is located in Florida according to the location listed in his profile.
He's in the Detroit area. He wants to MOVE to Florida. He's on a $50 budget so he can afford to go, and now talking about joining a cheese of the month club.

There goes the budget, Derek! If really want to move, you'll have to forego the C-O-T-M-Club.
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
Master Chef
Thanks for the correction. It's hard to keep up with him without a scorecard - lol! Situation seems to change with every new thread.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Master Chef
You probably won't find good or unusual cheeses in a regular supermarket.

But I bet if you looked around you'll find some in a Whole Foods or other "natural" foods store, at some Trader Joes, at higher end liquor stores, at gourmet-type stores, in ethnic markets, etc.

And I agree -- no canned cheese!
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Master Chef
Please Jennyema - don't generalize. It definitely depends on the supermarket. Around here, Giant, Martin's, Wegman's & Harris Teeter - all regular supermarkets - carry an amazing assortment of cheeses. Including a LOT of goat & sheep's milk cheeses. Wegman's in particular has an entire refrigerated case dedicated to delicate soft European cheeses. And our local Harris Teeter carries a vast array of sheep cheeses like Kasseri & other favorites of mine.

One just has to take the time to visit various supermarkets in their area. Sure, you might have to drive 30-60 minutes. But if you're only looking to do this once a month, it's not such a big deal.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
Head Chef
I live close to a decent size city but good cheese is one or two nothches above Kraft. Local wine store, what is that? At least we have drive thru daiquiri stores.

I am currenty on a project close to Memphis, TN. Most grocery stores have a good selection of cheese. I have not looked for a cheese store yet but I am sure that they have one.

Anyway another vote for no imported canned cheese.
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
Head Chef
The store where I mentioned has a great cheese selection is very small, and they cater to either home bound folks in the neighborhood, they deliver, and accept charges, and the other end, special orders, great meat, fresh fish on Fridays, etc. It is a family run business, not a chain.
One could also look up a cheese supplier/importer and ask if there are local stores that stock their cheeses.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Depending on your location simple as that just may mean simple as going to the moon. If I were to go to my local markets I would find run of the mill swiss, cheddar, blue, and other usual not out of the ordinary cheeses. Nothing that most people are not already familiar with or exciting or anything that would need to be researched. The closest place for me to find decent cheese is a half hour away and that place is relatively new. Short of that I would have to drive to Boston an hour away and that is not taking traffic and parking into consideration. And I am lucky that I live relatively close to Boston so that I can go in there for cheese if I really want. Others may not live that close to someplace that has any sort of variety.

I agree that those xxx of the month clubs are usually way overpriced and the items you get are usually not that great (they beer of the month club my office got me last year was some of the worst beer I ever had), but for some people it may just be the only option to experience new types of cheeses.
Thanks Wayogal, GB but the reason I'm asking this now is because it took me a year to find white chedder cheese for a recipe. And the town I livwe in basicually has the basics for cheese unless you go threw a wholesaler where you have to buy bulk. I really don't want to buy bulk.

By the way thank you again for the links everyone.

Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote