"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cheese Sauce

Any ideas on how to make a healthy cheese sauce with natural ingredients?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Cook

make a white roux (equal parts butter & flour)
thin with milk
add chunks of cheese & melt

Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Master Chef

Dillbert has a good recipe. You can make it at rich as you want using real butter, cream and cheese or you can lower the fat content by using margarine and skim milk. I'd not skimp on the cheese part though since that is what provides the flavor.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Master Chef

i aslo add coleman's dry mustard, salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
it depends on what you mean by healthy. Any sauce made with cheese is going to have an unhealthy amount of fat. I make a number dairy free cheese sauces that are much lower in fat but they are, of coarse, not actually cheese.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Master Chef

To make it a little easier to melt the cheese try grating it (I grate it fine) instead of adding it in chunks. This allows the cheese to melt quicker and incorporate easier with less chance of messing up your sauce.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I sometimes use part chicken stock part milk/heavy cream, that way it is at least a little healthier than all milk or heavy cream.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Head Chef

I just read this article the other day and it was talking about healthy foods for weight loss and it said that swiss cheese is high in calcium and “Calcium-rich foods reduce fat-producing enzymes and increase fat breakdown.”
Old 11-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I just read this article the other day and it was talking about healthy foods for weight loss and it said that swiss cheese is high in calcium and “Calcium-rich foods reduce fat-producing enzymes and increase fat breakdown.”
The problem is that cheese is high in fat. Eating cheese to reduce fat is like the old lady that swallowed a spider to eat the fly . . .
Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Cheese sauces require a bit of technique and knowledge. They contain a fair amount of fat, sodium, and protien. The protien makes cheese a challenge to work with.

The cardinal rule of any cheese sauce, whether it's made by adding cheese to a bechamel, or to hot cream or milk, if the sauce gets too hot, then the sauce will break, and the end product will be like mozzarella strands or lumps swimming in liquid.

To avoid breaking the sauce, heat the sauce base to no more than 170', scald the milk. Remove the pot from the heat source. Add the grated cheese and stir in immediatley until it is completely melted. You can add mustard powder or prepared mustard if you like. Just remember, that too much vinager (part of preapred mustard) will react with the protien as well.

I have made my own cheese product this way, simply adding a combination of swiss, sharp cheddar, and jack cheese. It's texture when cooled, can resemble everything from a semi-hard cheese, to Velveeta, to Cheese Whiz, to Nacho Sauce, depending on the ratio of milk to cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None