"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Senior Cook

After traveling alot in Mexico and out west, I found the true Mexican food to be quiye bland until seasoning/condiments were added. Most Americans are used to Tex/Mex. That has been my experience with the real thing.
(But, my souffle is definately about the cheese and eggs. Not spices. Thats all) Some are different.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I can't think of one Mexican dish that isn't spiced as it is cooked.
Me neither. In fact Mexican food is a good example of the cardinal rule that you season as you cook. One needs only a glance at one of Dianne Kennedy's books to see that. Or a taste of any authentic Mexican cuisine.

The fact is that seasoning and tasting food while you cook it are the two most basic rules of cooking. And they hold true for any type of cuisine.

In the case at hand, adding raw spices like nutmeg after a soufflé is cooked rather than into the batter would certainly be disastrous.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Most authentic Mexican dishes are marinated in citrus juice. Very little spice. At least out West and in Mexico. My Mexican friends cook traditional food and it is pretty bland before the condiments. But, the meat is tender from the marinades. Very delicious.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Most authentic Mexican dishes are marinated in citrus juice. Very little spice. At least out West and in Mexico. My Mexican friends cook traditional food and it is pretty bland before the condiments. But, the meat is tender from the marinades. Very delicious.
Yes, some are. Most? Not at all. So many other great Mexican dishes rely on adobos, peppers, achiote and other spice and herb pastes, cumin, oregano and so many bright fresh herbs.

I have never found authentic Mexican food to be bland in the slightest. It is a cuisine that relies very heavily on both simple (lime and garlic) and complicated (moles) seasonings.

Seasonings that are added when cooking, not after.

But this is about cheese souffles!!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Yes, it was supposed to be about cheese souffles. (No matter what one posts- many posters always have many other ideas.) Happy cooking.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Happy cooking.
Back atcha
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Mine is different but is always a huge hit and I can never make just one when I take it anywhere,

Cheese Souffle

4 slices of white bread, buttered and then cubed
4 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup of grated extra sharp cheese

Mix all ingredients together in a deep dish
Refridge Overnite
Bake 1 hour in a 350 oven
Do not preheat oven, start cooking in a cold oven
no need to grease the bowl, but I do lightly.
This looks delicious but I have to say it looks more like a Strata than a souffle. Souffles have whipped egg whites. Still, they are both yummy.. ;)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
Senior Cook

This is definately my last post of the souffle. The idea on my recipe is not to add any spices to it. My recipe is almost the same as Brennans in New Orleans. A chef friend told me they use white pepper and sea salt. Nothing else. That- is good enough for me. As he said, its about the cheese and the eggs, not adding anything. It has worked for me for many years. Why would I change it?

Tags
cheese, recipe

Cheese Souffle 3 Tablespoons butter 3 Tablespoons flour 1 cup milk 3 eggs/separated (At room temperature):chef: Salt and Pepper to taste Heat milk in pan add butter and stir until melted and blended.Blend in flour and stir until it thickens. Cook on low-med heat Do no boil Take off stove and cool. Add 3 well-beaten egg yolks then fold in 3 beaten egg whites/beating until stiff Pour in hot buttered casserole dish and bake at 350* for 40-50 min. 3 stars 1 reviews