Cheese spreads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I've made cheese spreads and cheese sauces for years. One of the things I could never recreate was the taste of Merkt's Swiss Cheese Spread, and I love it.

With Cheddar cheese spreads, I usually shred the cheddar, put it in the food processor, add cream cheese, maybe salt, maybe garlic, and to give it a kick I might add a little blue cheese because that really sharpens the flavor. If I want it softer, I may add sour cream.

With Swiss, I could never get the taste just right. It doesn't taste like baby swiss, it is stronger. It doesn't taste like Emmentaler or Jarlsberg, though I like those flavors. When I was tasting my Gruyere cheese, THAT is the flavor I'm going for to get it like Merkt's. It is a strong flavor but not a sharp flavor. My gruyere isn't fully aged, so it will have to wait.

I must have googled 'copy cat merkts swiss' for 6 years, and I searched for the 'swiss flavor', trying to figure out what it was I liked so much.

Does anyone here have a recipe for a swiss cheese type spread that they like?

I get 'page not found' too.
Has anyone ever made a swiss, or swiss almond type cheese spread that they like? I'm crazy about Merkts Swiss Almond.

Sorry, off-topic. What kind of cheese spread is commonly used for cheese danishes in America? As as I understand it is not straight cheese, or am I wrong.

Cheese danish filling: cream cheese and sugar.
Cheese danish filling recipe: includes, cream cheese, vanilla, egg yolk, confectioners sugar, salt.

thank you. I guess the only difference with Russian danish is the Farmer's cheese instead of cream cheese.

I get 'page not found' too.
Has anyone ever made a swiss, or swiss almond type cheese spread that they like? I'm crazy about Merkts Swiss Almond.

I wonder if Merkts is similar to Hickory Farms? Hickory Farms use to have an amazing swiss cheese log that I have not been able to find for years. I really miss it!

I wonder if Merkts is similar to Hickory Farms? Hickory Farms use to have an amazing swiss cheese log that I have not been able to find for years. I really miss it!

We can find Merks spreads at grocery stores here. It's pretty good.

Not a spread, but Papillon, black label roquefort is excellent spread over toast points or crackers with a drizzle of honey.:yum:

I'm going to give this one a try when my cheese is ready. I don't think I'll add the onion or worcestershire sauce.

Swiss Almond Cheese Log | Eat Wisconsin Cheese

4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter (2 oz)
1 cup shredded swiss cheese (4 oz)
1 cup shredded white cheddar (4 oz)
1 t. onion powder
1 t. worcestershire sauce
1 and 1/2 cup toasted almond slices

I'll probably put my ingredients in the food processor, and eye ball the amount of almonds to put in, to make a spread. At least I have a plan now! :LOL:

I think the strength, sharpness of the flavors of the cheddar and swiss could be all the adjusting I'll need to do, to get the flavor I'm looking for.

Now my mouth is watering......:LOL:

Apologies Dear.

I wrote them correctly. I had re-checked.

Do you need the ingredients of récipes or do you need just what is in the récipe without measurement ?

There is a website online for an almond Swiss cheese spread on the Merck webpage ..

I posted the 2 links however, Msmofed said they did not function ..

Apologies. I copied down correctly. Best to just google directly.

Merkt's is the brand.
Sagg--the links show 'no page found' and it says merks not merkts. I don't know why it doesn't work in north America, but it doesn't, for some odd reason.

I'm open to recipes or ingredient lists, as I haven't started the grand swiss almond spread experiment here yet. :)

One of the popular Merkt's/Merks around here, especially during the holidays, is the port wine spread.

Blissful

Merkt's is the brand.
Sagg--the links show 'no page found' and it says merks not merkts. I don't know why it doesn't work in north America, but it doesn't, for some odd reason.

I'm open to recipes or ingredient lists, as I haven't started the grand swiss almond spread experiment here yet. :)

Apologies ..

I live in Barcelona.

I shall look in a few of my International & Swiss Cheese Books ! If something is apropriate, I shall write it here ..

Have a lovely day ..

I found 2 that sound amazing ..

1) Swiss with dried apricots, raw pistachios peeled and feta !

This récipe is on: Pistachio and Apricot Cheese Ball - Create-Celebrate-Explore

2) This Swiss Cheese recipe is in French Only, so here are the ingredients in English:

1 Cup shelled raw pistachios
12 ounces of cream cheese
16 ounces of Swiss cheese or Swiss or French Emmenthal
1 / 2 cup milk
1 / 2 onion powder
1/2 tsp White pepper
1/ 4 tsp minced fresh dill
2 tsps of fresh minced parsley

Very versatile too .. Can use hazelnuts or walnuts or almonds or other dried fruits like dried figs or dates ..
Good luck ..

They both sound amazing ..

I'm going to give this one a try when my cheese is ready. I don't think I'll add the onion or worcestershire sauce.

Swiss Almond Cheese Log | Eat Wisconsin Cheese

4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter (2 oz)
1 cup shredded swiss cheese (4 oz)
1 cup shredded white cheddar (4 oz)
1 t. onion powder
1 t. worcestershire sauce
1 and 1/2 cup toasted almond slices

I'll probably put my ingredients in the food processor, and eye ball the amount of almonds to put in, to make a spread. At least I have a plan now! :LOL:

I think the strength, sharpness of the flavors of the cheddar and swiss could be all the adjusting I'll need to do, to get the flavor I'm looking for.

Now my mouth is watering......:LOL:
consider subbing gruyere for the swiss, increasing to 1 1/4 cup and reducing the cheddar to 3/4 C. I think the swiss or gruyere would get lost half and half with white cheddar. I might even consider 1 1/2 cup gruyere to 1/2 cup white cheddar.

Well yes, gruyere is a type of swiss. I'm pretty sure that the strength and the aging of the swiss and the cheddars will have an impact on the flavor. So, I'll wait until my swisses and yellow or white cheddars are strong enough to give some impact to the cheese spread. It's kind of an art really, how many months or years to let them age to get the flavor that is most pleasing. If you were going to make a recipe out of bought cheeses, then, I'd probably choose a year old gruyere and almost a year sharp cheddar, to get the job done. And which company's cheese? It's mind boggling to get it to good. I'm fond of the vermont cheddars, and really there are no domestic swiss types that will do the job due to US regulations.

Back
Top Bottom