Cheese texture question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I am looking for a type of cheese to make Cheese Enchiladas, baked.

1. The worst here in gas station cheese enchiladas is Velveeta because it melts into cheese soup and tastes, not so good.

2. I have tried Kraft and other brands Cheddar, mild, medium and sharp, in small blocks you Shread yourself, much better. but they also seem to melt too much .

3. I think I am looking for a more Hard white cheese that will Hold Up to baking for 30 minutes without totally melting.

4. they have a cheese called Oaxaca from Mexico?

5. Our friend Larry talked about Paneer cheese that when cooked still has Some Bite to it?

6. maybe I am cooking my cheese enchiladas too long?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Last edited:
I am looking for a type of cheese to make Cheese Enchiladas, baked.

1. The worst here in gas station cheese enchiladas is Velveeta because it melts into cheese soup and tastes, not so good.

2. I have tried Kraft and other brands Cheddar, mild, medium and sharp, in small blocks you Shread yourself, much better. but they also seem to melt too much .

3. I think I am looking for a more Hard white cheese that will Hold Up to baking for 30 minutes without totally melting.

4. they have a cheese called Oaxaca from Mexico?

5. Our friend Larry talked about Paneer cheese that when cooked still has Some Bite to it?

6. maybe I am cooking my cheese enchiladas too long?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Maybe bake your enchiladas without cheese or just a light layer. Then wait till the last 5 - 10 minutes of baking to add the cheese. JMHO

Oops sorry.
I thought you were talking about the cheese on top. I make beef, bean and cheese enchiladas and never really had the problem with the cheese inside but the cheese on top sometimes gets to runny or to brown before the baking is done.

Last edited:
I use Cotija for the topping, and sometimes mix a handful in with some cheddar and Monterey jack for the filling. Cotija is a rather dry, crumbly cheese and softens in the oven, but doesn't melt. Once opened, it lasts quite a long time in the fridge too - another plus. I love the flavor.
cotija.jpg

You also might try reducing the baking time. Since the ingredients in enchiladas are already cooked, it really just needs heating up. I'd try about 15 minutes in a preheated oven, then check them. If there's too much heat for too long, sometimes the cheese will separate, which is no bueno. :)

Not the greatest pic, but this is from a couple of years ago. I love a lot of 'stuff' on enchiladas. Good luck with your next batch, Eric. Now I'm craving enchiladas. :yum:
cheese enchilada dinner.jpg

I have never made, but have eaten many cheese/ onion enchiladas, in Mexican restaurants. Always were good to me. The only thing I don't care for is when the cheese is stretchy like mozzarella on pizza. I like to have a firmer fork bite.

Not sure about gas station enchiladas. We have one g.s. that I;ve been to and had their chicken cheese and green sauced enchiladas. Ok-adequate. Thinking of another one located reasonably close that has a good neighborhood food reputation. I should try theirs, for cheese enchiladas, and see how they are.

Whatever the white crumbly cheese is most often gets sprinkled on top after it's baked.

I use Cotija for the topping, and sometimes mix a handful in with some cheddar and Monterey jack for the filling. Cotija is a rather dry, crumbly cheese and softens in the oven, but doesn't melt. Once opened, it lasts quite a long time in the fridge too - another plus. I love the flavor.
View attachment 30563

You also might try reducing the baking time. Since the ingredients in enchiladas are already cooked, it really just needs heating up. I'd try about 15 minutes in a preheated oven, then check them. If there's too much heat for too long, sometimes the cheese will separate, which is no bueno. :)

Not the greatest pic, but this is from a couple of years ago. I love a lot of 'stuff' on enchiladas. Good luck with your next batch, Eric. Now I'm craving enchiladas. :yum:
View attachment 30564
WOW Your enchilada looks wonderful!

When I make cheese enchiladas, I kinda let them cool a bit 9still warmer than room temp, but not piping hot right out of the oven.

As they cool a bit , they regain their consistency.
I personally like them at this temp.

Paneer won't give you same cheese taste as the cheddar or Jack cheese.

I personally stuff the enchiladas with the jack cheese, bake, then last few minutes melt some cheddar cheese ( shredded ) on top.

While there are people in Mexico that like a wide variety of cheese, the most common cheese is a very young cheese, queso fresco. Common, as in, most people there eat the queso fresco cheese all the time. I heard of a story where a friend was visiting mexico and the mexican friends thought that 'old cheese' (meaning aged cheese) was bad, and 'young cheese' was better, young as in not aged long at all. This makes a big difference, and in my experience, aged cheeses are more meltable and "just made' cheeses don't tend to melt well. Given all that you might want to try queso fresco.

My friend that only makes cheese from raw goat's milk, tells me that goat's milk cheeses don't melt.

Oaxaca, is going to melt like mozzarella.

Here is a handy cheese chart that might help with those decisions.

vYbN9nA.jpg

While there are people in Mexico that like a wide variety of cheese, the most common cheese is a very young cheese, queso fresco. Common, as in, most people there eat the queso fresco cheese all the time. I heard of a story where a friend was visiting mexico and the mexican friends thought that 'old cheese' (meaning aged cheese) was bad, and 'young cheese' was better, young as in not aged long at all. This makes a big difference, and in my experience, aged cheeses are more meltable and "just made' cheeses don't tend to melt well. Given all that you might want to try queso fresco.

My friend that only makes cheese from raw goat's milk, tells me that goat's milk cheeses don't melt.

Oaxaca, is going to melt like mozzarella.

Here is a handy cheese chart that might help with those decisions.

vYbN9nA.jpg
That’s a really handy chart! Paneer needs to be added to the last category.

Bliss, thank you for posting the handy dandy cheese chart. I put it in my faves and will pass it along to my daughters. :)

Cheryl J, you're welcome. I've been learning a lot about cheese for a couple year now. My family is more melty cheese fans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom