"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Everymom

Think Derek means milligrams - mg. 3000mg=3g

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Think Derek means milligrams - mg. 3000mg=3g
Yes I do. Thanks a lot for clearing it up Alix.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Master Chef

Whoever told you you could have "natural" but not processed cheese gave you some potentially dangerous advice, IMO

Cheese in general is not a low sodium food. Many "natural" cheeses can be high in sodium, particularly blue cheeses which are ust as bad and maybe worse than processed cheese, sodium wise. Feta is bad too.

You might want to look for reduced sodium cheese. These have, ironically, been processed to remove some of the sodium and make them safer for folks like you to enjoy.

At the very least, get some nutritional advice or look very closely at the niutritional information on the cheese you buy.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Master Chef

I went back and looked at the nutritional information on a few cheeses and I have to agree with jennyema ... not all processed cheeses are worse (sodium content wise) than natural cheeses, and visa versa.

FWIW: 3,000 mg = 3 g ... 1.25 teaspoons table salt = 2,875 mg sodium
Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

3,000 mg is still alot considering that the RDI for a healthy adult is 2,400 mg.

If you really want to eat cheese and only have to watch your sodium intake you can (and should) cut back on other things. 1 tbsp of Heinz tomato ketchup has 190 mg so if you skip the ketchup at lunch you could have an oz of cheese for dinner instead. Campbell's condensed tomato soup has 480 mg of sodium in each serving - note that one serving is 1/2 cup. That's not a lot of food...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Is it that your doctor told you to stay away from, or cut back on, processed foods as a whole? Processed foods in general have a tendency to be higher in sodium.

3000 mg of sodium is higher than the recommended daily average for people without medical sensitivities to sodium. I think your best bet is to double-check this vital nutritional information with your doctor. If possible, see if he or she will refer you to a nutritionist.

Here's an article from the mayo clinic that may help: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
3,000 mg is still alot considering that the RDI for a healthy adult is 2,400 mg.

If you really want to eat cheese and only have to watch your sodium intake you can (and should) cut back on other things. 1 tbsp of Heinz tomato ketchup has 190 mg so if you skip the ketchup at lunch you could have an oz of cheese for dinner instead. Campbell's condensed tomato soup has 480 mg of sodium in each serving - note that one serving is 1/2 cup. That's not a lot of food...
Oh yeah, I normally don't even use ketchup on my sandwiches unless I relly need too. I can stay away from that all day long, unless II make goulush of coarse then I may need to add a 1/4th cup of ketscup to the dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Is it that your doctor told you to stay away from, or cut back on, processed foods as a whole? Processed foods in general have a tendency to be higher in sodium.

3000 mg of sodium is higher than the recommended daily average for people without medical sensitivities to sodium. I think your best bet is to double-check this vital nutritional information with your doctor. If possible, see if he or she will refer you to a nutritionist.

Here's an article from the mayo clinic that may help: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
Thank you Apple, And yes it's 3000 per day, and your right it's processed foods a s a whole. I would have to find my booklet to list off the stuff I can't eat and if I do eat it would have to be in very very small portions.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Oh yeah, I normally don't even use ketchup on my sandwiches unless I relly need too. I can stay away from that all day long, unless II make goulush of coarse then I may need to add a 1/4th cup of ketscup to the dish.
Don't stare yourself blind on details, those where just examples illustrating that you get sodium from sources you might not think about. I could have mentioned Coca-cola or milk - plain ol' milk contains surprising amounts of sodium.

I somehow get the feeling you don't want to understand which is surprising considering what just happened. Please talk to a nutritionist about your complete diet instead of asking some random question about cheese on a cooking forum.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #19
Head Chef

agreed, dude. Like I said, asking random questions here about your diet is like playing darts blindfolded. You have serious health issues.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

The bottom line CC is that if you have what you say you have then it is very serious and you need to get much clearer information that what you have already. that information should ONLY come from your doctor and nutritionist. You should have them write down exactly what you can and can not have. I mistake like 3000g vs 3000mg could be deadly and should not be taken lightly.

While DC is a great resource for information, we are not your doctors. That is who you need to get that information from, not us.

Tags
None