"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Cheeses?

Could you guys and gals name some cheeses that are all natural. And not processed?

I had another heart failur epiode this last week and I was in the hospital for 6 day's getting fluid drained from my lungs, and I don't want to go threw that again. Doctors said I can have natural cheese. So I was wondering if you guys and gals know of any?

And if I do have any processed cheese, it has to be like 10z or smaller bites.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Head Chef

All cheeses are natural cheeses ... cheddar, swiss, colby, etc.
Processed cheeses are like Kraft Singles, Velveeta, etc.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Derek, this sounds serious. I am sure if the doctor mentioned cheese there was also a long list of other things you can't eat as well. I am sorry to hear of your health problems. I am not doubting you in any way, but I am very curious why, if it is that serious, processed cheese was singled out. I would check back with your doctor or a dietitian. Take care of yourself.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

Well, if you basically stay away from Velveeta, Cheez Whiz, Laughing Cow/La Vache Qui Rit, Gourmandise, American cheese and American process pasteurized cheese food (cheese-in-a-squirt-can for example) you should be fine and back into the world of natural cheeses.

But, since it sounds like you were suffering from congestive heart failure (CHF) I would think the doc would want you to steer clear of the natural cheeses, which are sometimes high in sodium, and look more to the low sodium processed cheeses. I, too am curious as to why the doc gave the nix to processed cheese.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Derek, this sounds serious. I am sure if the doctor mentioned cheese there was also a long list of other things you can't eat as well. I am sorry to hear of your health problems. I am not doubting you in any way, but I am very curious why, if it is that serious, processed cheese was singled out. I would check back with your doctor or a dietitian. Take care of yourself.
I will check back with him. And it was pretty serious, my lungs filled up with fluid and I couldn't breath and they had to drain me. Anyways I've talked to a nutritionist and he processed cheese is more salty then natural. So if I can stay around the natural cheese and eat it in moteration I will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Well, if you basically stay away from Velveeta, Cheez Whiz, Laughing Cow/La Vache Qui Rit, Gourmandise, American cheese and American process pasteurized cheese food (cheese-in-a-squirt-can for example) you should be fine and back into the world of natural cheeses.

But, since it sounds like you were suffering from congestive heart failure (CHF) I would think the doc would want you to steer clear of the natural cheeses, which are sometimes high in sodium, and look more to the low sodium processed cheeses. I, too am curious as to why the doc gave the nix to processed cheese.
You're right Micheal, I was in chf at a dangeruos level, and I spent 6 days in the hospital.

but I'm all better now as long as I watch my salt, liquids.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Mr. Greenjeans

I was going to come on and post about processed and salt but someone beat me to it. I will however say that the salt is added to promote longer shelf life without molding. I never used to have to worry about that but now the whole house is ona diet and I have to stay cheese light.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I would read the lables and look for the terms or phrases:

Processed Cheese; Processed Cheese Food; Imitation cheese; Cheese Product - they are all Fake Cheeses. And they usually come from vegetable oil or other oil product.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
I was going to come on and post about processed and salt but someone beat me to it. I will however say that the salt is added to promote longer shelf life without molding. I never used to have to worry about that but now the whole house is ona diet and I have to stay cheese light.
I know what you mean BigD, I'm on a diet and I've allways been on a diet, however now I got to watch my liquid and salt intank.
I can only have #3000 grams of sodium per day, and 2 liters of liquid per day no matter what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I would read the lables and look for the terms or phrases:

Processed Cheese; Processed Cheese Food; Imitation cheese; Cheese Product - they are all Fake Cheeses. And they usually come from vegetable oil or other oil product.
Selkie, I do read the labels and you would be surprised how much salt is in ravioli for a half of a can it's #1300 grams of sodium, but I make my own ravioli wich is around #800 soidum for the whole pot.

Thank you very much for all the advice guys and gals.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
I can only have #3000 grams of sodium per day,
What? 3000 grams of sodium means you could eat well over 2 pounds of ordinary table salt (sodium chloride) every day.

I think you really should talk to your doctor again - you are not doing yourself a favour by thinking that processed cheese is the only thing you should avoid.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Head Chef

Sorry to hear about your illness...
Yes, check back with your doctor, as it seems like your numbers are not quite right. Work with a nutritionist and/or a dietician, they should be able to outline a diet for your special needs.
Cheeses that are natural also contain salt, as reported earlier. Continue to read labels. If you have someone helping you with your medical needs/diet, then they should be able to recommend specific foods that will fall within your guidelines.
Asking here is kind of like playing darts blindfolded...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None