Classic Omelet Recipe (French way)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchguycooking

Senior Cook
Hello Guys,

I am proud to share with you my first recipe ;) ( and a bit nervous too)
It is an everyday delicious, simple and effective dish. The Omelet (in France we spell it "omelette")

I have 3 things to share with you today:
- A photo of the render ( a picture is a thousand words isn it ?)
- The recipe itself
- A video recipe I made (i really enjoy editing ;)) )

there we go :

screeshoti.jpg

Ingredients :
------------------
- 3 eggs for one person
- Butter ( 1 big teaspoon )
- Olive Oil ( a drip )
- Salt, Pepper
- Nutmeg

How to do it
-----------------
- Eggs in a bowl and stir them
- Season wel with salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Hot pan ( medium to high heat )
- Butter in the pan, Olive Oil also (avoiding burning)
- Pour the eggs and gently bring back the edges to the center
- Shake to cook the lasting liquid
- Roll the Omelette onto itself
- Flip it in a plate
- Sprinkle with herbs

---------------------

Thanks for reading, hope you will like it !
Feedback is more than welcome ;)

gab

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. Informative and fun video! :yum: yes, I'm hungry now.

I make a great omelette but your video was so fun to watch that I want to go and make one right now :)

You can see you are passionate about food!

Great Video :) Looks delicious. I would be proud to serve it in my home.

Looks wonderful. I make omelets the same way, although I usually add the fresh herbs in with the eggs before cooking. I've never added nutmeg to an omelet before. I'll have to try that.

I make a great omelette but your video was so fun to watch that I want to go and make one right now :)

You can see you are passionate about food!

Great Video :) Looks delicious. I would be proud to serve it in my home.

Thank you Snip for your comment ! Yes, indeed, i am passionate about food. I am glad you would serve this at home ;)))

Looks wonderful. I make omelets the same way, although I usually add the fresh herbs in with the eggs before cooking. I've never added nutmeg to an omelet before. I'll have to try that.

Thank you Steve ;) ! I often do as you mentioned, but now that I have seen many videos and (too) many recipes about omelet, I see two alternatives (or additives) :
- The stuffing is usually added when the omelet is folded.
- Add some more herbs on top at the very end. It makes sense, cause the herbs have to stay fresh and fragrant.

That's exactly what I do! Except, I don't have quite the pan-shaking skill you have. Thanks for sharing! Steve--I add one grate of nutmeg--I don't use the powdered stuff--to scrambled eggs, too, when I make them the French way. When I make them the US Navy way, I don't (but I usually add a splash or two of hot sauce then).

That's exactly what I do! Except, I don't have quite the pan-shaking skill you have. Thanks for sharing! Steve--I add one grate of nutmeg--I don't use the powdered stuff--to scrambled eggs, too, when I make them the French way. When I make them the US Navy way, I don't (but I usually add a splash or two of hot sauce then).

Right. I have always lifted and tilted, but now I will try the shake! He does do it very well, doesn't he?:blink:

Thanks for your comment CWS4322 !
If you are a us navy, no doubt you will master the pan-shaking quickly ;)
I choose a small pan because it is much more difficult to succeed in making a large omelet. Everything is heavier, and the rolling motion is harder...

Thank you Snip for your comment ! Yes, indeed, i am passionate about food. I am glad you would serve this at home ;)))

I honestly believe that the simple things are more difficult to cook. Nowhere to hide your mistakes :LOL:

Your omelette does look great :yum:
I make mine almost exactly the same way. I just use fresh herbs and add a dash of cold water to my eggs while whisking them. It's a trick I learned from my brother when he was in culinary school. It makes the omelette lighter and fluffier.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment CWS4322 !
If you are a us navy, no doubt you will master the pan-shaking quickly ;)
I choose a small pan because it is much more difficult to succeed in making a large omelet. Everything is heavier, and the rolling motion is harder...
Not US Navy, but my dad is retired USN. And, he makes USN scrambled eggs. You heat the cast-iron skillet, crack the eggs directly in the skillet, and move them around (I use a fork, but on the big griddle, they just kind of shovel them around). No cream or milk added.

Back
Top Bottom