Classic Quiche Lorraine Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi Guys :)

We made this superb Quiche Lorraine last night for tea and I thought I would share the recipe with you all :)

It is a recipe they made on Masterchef Australia

Classic Quiche Lorraine

Ingredients

Short crust pastry

125g butter
240gplain flour
Pinch salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Filling

60g butter
1 small white onion, finely diced
2 leeks or spring onions washed and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
150g pancetta or bacon, cut into fine lardons
300ml pure cream
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
½ cup grated good quality gruyere cheese
½ cup grated tasty cheese

Method

Short crust pastry and Filling

1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a 21cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tin.

2. For pastry, place butter, flour and salt in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg and lemon juice and process until mixture forms a ball. Turn onto a floured bench and gently knead to bring dough together. Do not over work. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.

3. For filling, melt half the butter in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add onion and leeks cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and return pan to heat.

4. Melt remaining butter in the pan, add pancetta/bacon and cook until golden, stirring occasionally. Add to the onions and stir to combine. Spread over a double thick sheet of paper towel to drain.

5. Roll pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to a 24-26cm circle 2-3mm thick. Gently ease into prepared tart tin, pressing pastry into the edges of the tin. Trim with a small knife and prick the base. Lay a sheet of baking paper over the base and fill with baking beans or rice and blind bake pastry for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, take out paper and baking beans and return to the oven for 5 minutes to crisp.

5. Whisk cream, eggs and yolks in a bowl until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

6. Fill the base of the cooked pastry shell with onion mixture and scatter over half the cheese. Pour over egg mixture and sprinkle with tasty cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 160°C and bake until set. Allow to cool before cutting.

Kylie, Buonasera,

Thanks for posting your delicious Quiche recipe which, is very similar to mine
( Margaux´s Quiche ) ... So similar, they are practically the same recipe !

The slight differences are, I put corgette / zucchini and use 50% French Emmenthal and 50% Swiss Gruyère ... I use French Jambon or Proscuitto di Parma depending if I am in Madrid or Puglia.

I am going to try your version ...

Have a lovely Tuesday.
Ciao, Margi.

What variety/quality of cheddar would be a good substitute for tasty cheese?

Tasty cheese on a quiche is usually fresh grated parm or romano. But a nice smoked cheddar would be great! Especially with pancetta or bacon.

Tasty cheese on a quiche is usually fresh grated parm or romano. But a nice smoked cheddar would be great! Especially with pancetta or bacon.

I found that they have something they call "tasty cheese", which the sources I looked at said it was similar to cheddar. I hope its not Velveeta!:ohmy:

I found that they have something they call "tasty cheese", which the sources I looked at said it was similar to cheddar. I hope its not Velveeta!:ohmy:

Hmm...never heard of Tasty Cheese...will have to wait for Kylie to wake up...she's older and slower now <duck and run>:LOL:

The topping cheese I like to compliment the main component in the quiche.

I wonder if "tasty cheese" is just that, any cheese you find tasty?

We used to call the parm in the green can "stinky cheese"....also quite tasty.

Last edited:
What variety/quality of cheddar would be a good substitute for tasty cheese?

Hey Craig :)

Tasty cheese over here is basically a mild cheddar cheese, but of good quality. It is nothing like your Velveeta :)

Hmm...never heard of Tasty Cheese...will have to wait for Kylie to wake up...she's older and slower now <duck and run>:LOL:

Fiona...that cracked me up :ROFLMAO: I certainly do feel older and slower today :LOL:

Kylie, Buonasera,

Thanks for posting your delicious Quiche recipe which, is very similar to mine
( Margaux´s Quiche ) ... So similar, they are practically the same recipe !

The slight differences are, I put corgette / zucchini and use 50% French Emmenthal and 50% Swiss Gruyère ... I use French Jambon or Proscuitto di Parma depending if I am in Madrid or Puglia.

I am going to try your version ...

Have a lovely Tuesday.
Ciao, Margi.

Yes, it does look very similar to yours...Masterchef must have copied your recipe :LOL:

That is great that you are going to try this one, I am sure you wil love it :)

Well that sounds mighty good!

Thanks Hoot :)

I wonder if "tasty cheese" is just that, any cheese you find tasty?
That's what I've presumed. Perhaps Parmesan or Romano. If cheddar I'd recommend a mild cheddar, but I guess "tasty" is in the tongue of the beholder.

I like my quiche fine with Gruyere and Parmesan (freshly grated).

Greg Who Cooks said:
That's what I've presumed. Perhaps Parmesan or Romano. If cheddar I'd recommend a mild cheddar, but I guess "tasty" is in the tongue of the beholder.

I like my quiche fine with Gruyere and Parmesan (freshly grated).

I could eat an old boot if it was covered in Gruyere...

Yes we will certainly be using Gruyere cheese a lot more now in cooking as it is a lovely strong tasting cheese...love swiss cheeses :)

Hi everyone,

I'm from Lorraine and in the original recipe there is no onions or cheese (but i love this one)

If you want to know the authentic one from my grandma, check this out , it'a Must Do

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/the-quiche-lorraine-93879.html

Welcome to DC! So, who is credited for the "original" recipe?:huh: Please be careful using terms like traditional or authentic as they imply that there is only one way to make a dish, but in reality there can be variations from family to family, no matter if the name implies a specific region.

Last edited:
Hi, thxs

Well it has be found in old recipe books from Lorraine.

It's an old recipe which was made by and for poor people in Lorraine (France) :

a bit of what's left from the piggies'meat :pig:
eggs, cream, the crust was actually the "bread dough" which was left

Some families also didn't have bacon in their quiche !

But yes the recipe has changed a lot, and what you use to make quiche which is called "migaine" is a base, you can add whatever you feel like ! :chef:

I even prefer the one with cheese. :wub:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom