"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Let's just agree to disagree.

Just as an aside (and NOT to start an argument) I find it interesting that in many of the finest restaurants, you won't find salt or pepper on the table unless you ask for them. The chef considers the food already seasoned when it comes out of the kitchen.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

I always leave compound butter unsalted; most, if not all, foods I use it on are already salted prior to cooking. The butter is generally added at the end of the process, and if there is a little more needed for individual taste, it's added at the table.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

There is nothing to agree or disagree about Arky. You do it one way and that works for you. I do it a different way and that works for me. There is not one right and one wrong way. Both ways can be right. It just depends on the end user.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I only buy unsalted butter, too - at least in stick form. I also buy salted spreadable butter for toast and the like. I really don't use stick butter for much beyond baking and to drizzle over popcorn, and I always add a bit of kosher salt to the melted butter before I drizzle it over popcorn. Distributes the salty flavor better that way.
So I'm certainly not opposed to adding salt to unsalted butter when I'm using it as a condiment or sauce. I just wasn't sure if there was some unspoken rule against using salt in compound butter, or a strong reason against it, because twice now I've come across recipes or formulas that don't include salt. I don't have much experience with compound butter - I've only made it once before, with roasted garlic, for a Mother's Day dinner. I followed the recipe, not adding salt, and when I tasted it just before putting it on the table, it tasted bland and ...well...unsalted, lol.
I ended up sprinkling sea salt on top before I put it on the table, but it still tasted a little flat. Salt makes other flavors come alive, you know? I'm not looking for salty, just - what's the word I'm looking for - vivid? I think I'll try it with just a bit of salt and see what happens. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Nope there definitely is no unspoken rule or any reason you absolutely should not do it. There really are no rules with compound butter that you need to be aware of. If it tastes like it needs salt then absolutely add salt. In the end, your taste buds are all that matter

Tags
None