"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Compound butter: add salt?

I have a recipe for compound butter that basically consists of unsalted butter (which is what I buy anyway) + flavorings + a little lemon juice if you'd like + a little ground black pepper if you like. I was struck by the absence of salt in the formula, though. Do you add salt to your compound butter? If so, what kind of salt, and about how much? Thanks! :)

Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Cook

My personal taste leans towards sea salt, but Kosher salt would work just as well. I would not suggest Iodized table salt. If you doubt this, do a side-by-side taste test, and I'm reasonably sure you'll agree. Anyway, whatever salt you choose, I've found that 1/4 teaspoon per stick of butter is a good place to start, and then add just a pinch more at a time after thoroughly mixing, tasting each time. Go for flavor enhancement without a salty taste. I love compound butter!!! Yumm! Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Sounds good, and thanks for being specific! That's exactly what I needed. I keep sea salt and kosher salt on hand in addition to table salt. I think the taste test is a good idea! Thanks again. :)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I do not add salt to my compound butter. Think of it this way. You already buy unsalted butter so why would you then turn your unsalted butter into salted butter? I can always add salt to whatever I am using the compound butter for.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We usually use compound butter with steaks and sometimes roasted corn on the cob...We salt our steaks and corn so no need to salt unsalted butter

kadesma
Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not add salt to my compound butter. Think of it this way. You already buy unsalted butter so why would you then turn your unsalted butter into salted butter? I can always add salt to whatever I am using the compound butter for.
For myself, I only buy unsalted butter, and there are times that I make compound butter for items I don't salt in advance, such as garlic bread or bread sticks for the savory side, and peach or apple butter on toast for the sweet side. A very small amount of salt makes a noticeable difference, without too much salt that is found in normal salted butter.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

For those times Arky, I sprinkle salt on after the fact. That way I can control the exact amount I use.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Taste the butter and add salt if you think it needs it.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
For those times Arky, I sprinkle salt on after the fact. That way I can control the exact amount I use.
That's like adding the herbs and spices to a soup after it's in serving bowls on the table. Mixing in advance affects all of the blended compound butter and doesn't make the salting hap hazard after the fact.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
That's like adding the herbs and spices to a soup after it's in serving bowls on the table.
Isn't that exactly what you are doing when you use a compound butter? You do not use a compound butter during cooking usually. it is for finishing (adding after the soup is in the bowl so to speak).

I would hardly call salting after hap hazard. In any event, when I make compound butter I make a stick at a time. I am not using the full stick in any one use so the butter will be used on various foods. I would much rather control the salt per that particular foods requirements then be stuck with salt already added which the food I am using it on may or may not need it for. For instance, when I cook steak I use a dry brine method which salts the steak from the inside out meaning there is no need to add more salt. If I were to then add a salted compound butter to that then it could potentially be too much salt.

Tags
None