Compound Butters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolishedTopaz

Sous Chef
compound butter 001.jpg

Orange Rosemary

1 stick Irish Butter
1 sm Shallot {minced fine}
2 cloves Garlic {minced fine}
1/2 tsp Rosemary {minced fine}
Zest of 1/2 an Orange {microplaned}
Black Pepper to taste

-Allow butter to come to room temp
-Add all ingrediants
-Blend throughly--with a fork
-Arrange into a log shape on plastic wrap
-Wrap tightly in plastic wrap
-Freeze until ready to use

-Cut into "coins" and add to your desired dish

Last edited:
Lovely Topaz, I can see that melting over a crisp skinned fried duck breast with Jersey Royal new potatoes and asparagus :yum:

Flavored butters are wonderful. I love adding 1 minced shallot with sun dried tomatoes packed in evoo, a tea. of thyme leaves salt and a grind of pepper. this can be served with bree, and baguette,with pasta,roasted asparagus, steamed green beans,broccoli or grilled onions.Gorgonzola butter with fresh chopped rosemary is the big D on beef and pasta.try chopped olives, shallot and parsley is great with lamb try grilled pork with finely chopped seeded jalapeno's,garlic how about a jalapeno burger:yum:
we've tried most of these and love them. It gives dinner or bbq that extra ooomph.
kades

Does the Irish butter have as high a moisture / water content (~16-17%) as the run-of-the-mill American butters like Land O' Lakes?

I would say no, I find the moisture content lower. The color is yellower and it feels denser when cutting. I am lucky enough to have "Kerrygold" now available at my local King Kullen market. They also carry "Plugra" which is danish, I find the moisture content a bit higher in the danish butter and the flavor entirely different. I have to say that I am now a bit of a butter snob, I have ALWAYS loved butter, but this Irish Butter stuff is well worth seeking out. :)

Polished Topaz,

I have had Scandinavian butters, and French ... What about French ? It is quite creamy ...

I shall have to try your Irish Butter Kerrygold ... We have an enormous shop called EL CORTE INGLES throughout Spain, and they carry worldwide products including the USA & Canada ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

I would say no, I find the moisture content lower. The color is yellower and it feels denser when cutting. I am lucky enough to have "Kerrygold" now available at my local King Kullen market. They also carry "Plugra" which is danish, I find the moisture content a bit higher in the danish butter and the flavor entirely different. I have to say that I am now a bit of a butter snob, I have ALWAYS loved butter, but this Irish Butter stuff is well worth seeking out. :)
Plugra may be somewhat like Danish butter, but it is made in the US. I have never tried it. According to Wikipedia (and other sources I have seen in the past, "The name "Plugra" is derived from the French plus gras ("more fat")."

Polished Topaz,

I have had Scandinavian butters, and French ... What about French ? It is quite creamy ...

I shall have to try your Irish Butter Kerrygold ... We have an enormous shop called EL CORTE INGLES throughout Spain, and they carry worldwide products including the USA & Canada ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Polished Topaz is recommending the Irish butter, because a lot of the butter found in the US isn't as nice as European butters.

@ TaxLady I admit I hadn't read the label carefully enough on the Plugra Butter or done any online searches, but as you have said this is a psydo-European product. Which fully explains the flavor profile. Thanks for your research efforts. ;)

So far I have only seen the salted variety, Schmidts Market in So Ham might have it unsalted, no harm in looking there, even if they don't carry it they have plenty of other good stuff to peruse. {or you could ask them to start suppling it} ;)

European butters are cultured, while American butters are sweet cream butter? If I recall, Land 0 Lakes brand was created by the guy that found you could add salt to sweet cream (un-cultured) butter to preserve it from spoiling. Later on, unsalted became available as packaging methods improved.

Most butter companies try to get out most of the water. Butter spreads, lower fat butters, and margerines tend to have more water in them.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Polished Topaz: 2 Butters, 1 for Steak & 1 for Fish

Good Evening,

Have you ever made Beurre Maîtré D´Hotel style butter ? It is made with lemon juice, fresh Italian parsley and salt. It is used as a garnish for steak.

The fish one I have made is:

Italian flat leaf parsley
tarragon herb
chives ribbon
chervil herb
lemon zest
salt

Again, thanks for posting your recipe for Butter too:yum: ...

Margi. Cintrano.

Back
Top Bottom